To view our Christmas and New Year Train times for this year, please click here.
On Christmas Eve and Hogmanay, services will begin to wind down in the early evening, and customers are advised to complete their journeys by around 8pm.
As in previous years, train services will not operate on Boxing Day outside the Strathclyde area.
No trains will run on Christmas or New Year’s Day. A Sunday service will operate on most routes on Friday 2 January, although passengers are advised to check their own journey on our website.
On Friday 2 January, Network Rail engineering work in the Larbert area will affect Glasgow Queen Street – Stirling/Alloa services; buses will replace trains from Croy in both directions. Journey times between Glasgow – Aberdeen/Inverness will be extended due to the same engineering works. Trains will depart earlier from and arrive later at Glasgow Queen Street, but will adhere to the normal timetable north of Stirling.
Friday 26 December
A revised service will operate on the following routes only but passengers must check journeys as some trains have been retimed:
- Glasgow – Ayr/Largs/Ardrossan/Gourock/Wemyss Bay
- Glasgow – Newton/Neilston
- Glasgow – East Kilbride/Kilmarnock/Girvan (no services to Stranraer or Carlisle)
- Glasgow Central – Shotts (no services between Shotts and Edinburgh)
- Glasgow Queen Street – Croy
- Glasgow Queen Street – Anniesland (via Maryhill)
- Cumbernauld/Whifflet – Milngavie
- Cumbernauld – Dalmuir
- Motherwell – Dalmuir
- Larkhall – Partick
- Airdrie – Balloch
- Helensburgh – Bathgate (no service between Bathgate and Edinburgh)
Friday 2 January
A reduced service will run across Scotland but passengers should check their journeys as some trains have been retimed due to Network Rail engineering works.
There will be no direct trains between Glasgow Queen Street – Falkirk Grahamston, and Glasgow Central – Paisley Canal.
- The Caledonian Sleeper will operate as usual until and including Tuesday 23 December (overnight into Wednesday 24 December – Christmas Eve).
- No services will depart between Wednesday 24 and Sunday 28 December inclusive.
- The Sleeper will operate on Monday 29 and Tuesday 30 December, with no services departing on Wednesday 31 December or Thursday 1 January.