First ScotRail slash up to 77% off rail fares for over-55s
31 March 2005
First ScotRail is slashing up to 77 per cent off the cost of rail fares from 1 April for people aged 55 and over.
This weekend sees the launch of First ScotRail's Club 55 promotion which offers cut price rail travel across Scotland to the 1.3 million Scots aged 55 or over. It will also be available to all eligible tourists using First ScotRail services. For a flat fare of only £14.00 over 55s can take advantage of return rail travel anywhere in Scotland with First ScotRail and Strathclyde Public Transport. A further £2.00 discount off return travel anywhere in Scotland is available to Senior Railcard holders.
For those seeking additional luxury the Club 55 Premier ticket offers first class comfort on routes linking Glasgow, Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen and Inverness for just £18.00 return or £16.00 with a Senior Railcard.
The offer will be available from the beginning of April until the end of June. Tickets can be purchased from principle First ScotRail stations, rail appointed Travel Agents or via First ScotRail Telesales by calling 08457 55 00 33 and quoting "Club 55 offer". Tickets can also be purchased from the First ScotRail website (www.firstscotrail.com)
Valid for return travel up to one month Club 55 tickets offer huge discounts on a host of journey possibilities across the Scottish rail network. It will slash over £45.00 off an Aberdeen to Dumfries Saver - a 77 per cent saving; £44.20 off an Edinburgh to Kyle of Lochalsh Saver - a saving of over 75 per cent; and £58.80 off the fare from Stranraer to Thurso - a saving of 76 per cent.
Ellie Newlands, First ScotRail Head of Marketing said: "We are expecting the Club 55 promotion to be enormously popular with both Scots and tourists. This is the first time Club 55 has run for three consecutive months and we are looking forward to welcoming tens of thousands more leisure travellers on to our trains."
Club 55 tickets must be purchased no later than 1800 hours on the day before outward travel. Club 55 tickets are not valid on peak times (0700 - 0900 or 1645 - 1800, Monday to Friday) Edinburgh to Glasgow services in both directions. As seats are subject to availability travellers are urged to book early. Reservations are free of charge but are compulsory on the following routes:
* Glasgow - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig
* Edinburgh/Glasgow to Aberdeen
* Edinburgh/Glasgow to Inverness
* Inverness to Aberdeen
* Inverness to Kyle/Wick/Thurso
Full details of Club 55 promotion are available on our website www.firstscotrail.com or in Club 55 leaflets available at all staffed stations. You may be requested to supply proof of age by ticket inspection staff before or during your trip.
NOTES TO EDITORS:
1. The First ScotRail franchise officially commenced at 2am on Sunday 17 October 2004.
2. First ScotRail is investing £40million in improving rail journeys for passengers. We are committed to increasing quality and capacity on key services, delivering an enhanced maintenance programme to improve service reliability, increasing provision of CCTV and passenger information systems and improving revenue protection with new ticket inspectors and additional ticket purchasing facilities.
3. The Scottish franchise is one of the largest in the UK with more than 3000 kilometres of track, 650,000 train journeys a year and 336 stations.
4. FirstGroup plc is a UK based international transport company with a turnover of nearly £2.5 billion a year, and some 62,000 employees throughout the UK and North America. First is a major force in UK railways, operating First Great Western, First Great Western Link and First TransPennine Express rail franchises. The group also operates Hull Trains and GB Railfreight.
Paul Smith/Cameron Grant, 3x1, Tel: 0141 353 5131, Mobile: 07712 102930
Carol Harris, Communications Manager, First ScotRail, Tel: 0141 335 4785