UPDATE REGARDING CONTINUATION OF PLAY ON MONDAY 20 JULY
Due to the poor weather, The Open is continuing on Monday 20 July.
If you’re planning to go to St Andrews, we are running a limited number of additional services/carriages. However, trains are likely to be MUCH busier than on previous golf days therefore there may be substantial queues at the busiest times, particularly at Leuchars after play is over. You may not be able to board the first train you aim for, so allow plenty of time to get to the station from the course. We’re doing all we can to help you have a great day out and your patience is much appreciated.
We are running a combined train and bus service to and from the course on Monday. It’s not a Golflink ticket but it’s the next best thing. Please buy or ask for a St Andrews Bus Link ticket instead. It costs almost the same. If you’re travelling on another ticket type, you will be able to buy a ticket for the bus direct from Stagecoach at the station.
Some fans’ journeys will be affected by improvement works being carried out in Winchburgh Tunnel during The Open, affecting the following routes:
Glasgow – Falkirk High – Edinburgh
Alloa / Dunblane / Stirling – Edinburgh
Edinburgh – Glenrothes – Edinburgh (Fife Circle)
That means that travelling to Leuchars via Edinburgh may not be the quickest or easiest option.
Falkirk/Polmont/Linlithgow passengers, we recommend using services through Falkirk Grahamston to travel to Dundee (via Stirling) and then catch a southbound service to Leuchars.
Glasgow/Alloa/Dunblane/Stirling passengers should travel to Dundee and catch a southbound service to Leuchars from there.
More information on the Winchburgh Tunnel improvement works and alternative travel options is available here.
There is no GOLFLINK service between Sunday 12 and Tuesday 14 July.
However, if you wish to travel to The Open by rail on these days, you can easily purchase a St Andrews RailBus Ticket – a through train and bus ticket to St Andrews. This allows you to travel to Leuchars station by train, and then to St Andrews via a dedicated bus service.
You can buy a St Andrews RailBus Ticket at any staffed ScotRail station or via ScotRail telesales on 0344 811 0141.
You can also purchase a St Andrews RailBus Ticket here on our website by clicking on ‘Buy Tickets’ and then typing ‘St Andrews Bus’ into the destination field.
Though the normal journey time between Leuchars station and St Andrews is 16 minutes, at busy times (usually your return journey), up to 40 minutes should be allowed from boarding the bus to arriving at the station.
While every effort will be made to help you make your rail connections at Leuchars, the return bus/rail connection is not guaranteed. Please allow extra time to make your travel connections.
You can easily purchase tickets from staffed ScotRail stations or via ScotRail telesales on 0344 811 0141.
On the day, you can buy your ticket onboard the train – where no ticket issuing facilities are available at your station of origin – or at stations where ticket vending machines are available, by selecting ‘GOLFLINK 2015’ as your destination.
There are many ways to get to The Open to this year, whether it’s by rail, road, sea or sky.
For more information on your travel options, visit: www.theopen.com/Spectators/GettingThere
You can plan your journey by clicking on the "buy tickets" tab at the top of this page, or through our journey planning page.
If you need special assistance, please buy your GOLFLINK ticket as outlined but contact us in advance to let us know how we can help. You can contact us via our website or by phone:
To book assistance online more than 24 hours in advance, please use our Assisted Travel Booking Form, available here.
You can also call our Free Assisted Travel Helpline on 0800 912 2901 (Monday to Sunday from 7am to 8pm)
Or, for those who are hard of hearing, please use our Assisted Travel Text Relay service on 18001 0800 912 2 901
For everyone’s safety during The Open, Leuchars car park will be closed from midnight on Monday 13 July until 10pm on Tuesday 21 July.
Please ensure that your car is removed from the car park before midnight on Monday 13 July, as any vehicle left in the car park after this time will be towed and penalties will apply.
Alternative parking is available for you at Guardbridge, and a regular shuttle bus from this car park to Leuchars station will be provided to rail passengers.
Please note that there is no overnight parking at Guardbridge.
- Customers travelling on tickets other than GOLFLINK tickets (eg BritRail passes, single tickets) can simply buy separate, return bus tickets on arrival at Leuchars station. The adult return fare is £5.00, and child return fares are £2.50.
- No Railcard discounts apply. However, holders of Railcards may purchase a discounted rail ticket to Leuchars and, on arrival at Leuchars, a separate bus ticket from Stagecoach staff.
- There are no concessionary discounts for National Entitlement Card holders on GOLFLINK tickets. National Entitlement Card holders, who are resident in Fife, can use their cards for rail travel to Leuchars in the normal way. However, National Entitlement Cards are not valid for travel on GOLFLINK buses (adult return bus fare is £5.00).
- The One-Ticket and Stagecoach Megarider, Dayrider, Flexirider and Unirider tickets are not valid on GOLFLINK buses.
- Tickets for groups, comprising 10 people or more, can be purchased from ScotRail Telesales on 0344 811 0141. Lines are open daily from 7am to 10pm. Please note there are no discounts for groups.
- Seat reservations are not available on trains to and from Leuchars on 15 – 19 July inclusive, and please note that no first class accommodation will be available.
- Queuing systems will be in operation at the following stations: Leuchars, Edinburgh Waverley, Haymarket, Glasgow Queen Street, Aberdeen, Dundee, Kirkcaldy and Inverkeithing.
- At busy times, you may not be able to travel on your intended service and should follow the instructions of staff at the stations.