Smart card is coming your way
More stations, more routes - the next generation of rail ticketing is now being rolled out across our network. It's fast, efficient and incorporates SMART technology which is easy to use and a simpler way to travel.
About smart card
A smart card is the size of a normal debit card and contains an electronic chip which allows rail tickets to be stored and read electronically.
Smart cards are a more convenient way of delivering rail ticketing. The technology is already being used by other transport operators, most noticeably in the UK through the London Underground Oyster Card.
Where can I use a smart card?
Season ticket customers can use smart cards on the following routes:
• Edinburgh - Glasgow via Falkirk High
• Edinburgh/Glasgow - Stirling/Dunblane/Alloa
• Glasgow Central - Ayr/Ardrossan/Largs
Please see our route map showing where Season Ticket customers can benefit from smart card ticketing.
Please note that smart cards are only valid for use on ScotRail services.
What are the benefits of a smart card?
- Durable - smart cards are made from plastic so they are harder wearing than paper. This means they last longer and are less likely to fail at ticket gates.
- Faster - getting around stations is faster because smart cards operate ticket gates at key stations. Less queuing.
- Convenient - smart card Season Tickets purchased online can be collected (downloaded) as you travel, even from the ticket gates as you pass through the station.
- Transparent - smart card customers can access their account online showing recent journeys and transactions.
Interested? Visit our smart card site to find out more.
I already have a Season Ticket - can I transfer this to my new smart card?
Yes. We can arrange for the transfer of your current Season Ticket as part of your application process. See the FAQ link below for more details on this.
Sounds interesting. How do I get a smart card?
There are 3 simple ways to apply for one:
- Online through this website. Use the link below to apply.
- By phone. Call our Smartcard Team on 0345 675 0892.
- Pick up an application pack at participating ScotRail stations.
You can apply for your own personal smart card immediately by clicking here and completing the simple application form and uploading a passport-style photograph. This should only take a few minutes.
Things you should know when applying online
During the application process we will ask you for a few personal details such as name, address and email.
- Compulsory information is marked with an asterisk.
- You will need to upload a clear, head and shoulders photograph of yourself to complete your application. This needs to be of passport standard and no bigger than 1Mb in size.
- Before your application can be processed, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org which will invite you to validate your application. Your application cannot be processed until you have done this. Please make sure this email address is in your whitelist or address book to avoid it ending up in your spam folder.
- Processing times vary but you should expect to receive your smart card within 7 working days along with details on how to use it.