Getting you to the Edinburgh Festivals
We’ll be doing all we can to get you to and from this summer’s Edinburgh Festivals.
On top of extra carriages, we’ll be running extra late-night trains from Edinburgh to Glasgow and across the Central Belt.
Here’s what you can look forward to:
- Additional late-night trains between Edinburgh Waverley and Glasgow Queen Street (via Falkirk High) every night, departing from Edinburgh at 00.03 and 00.33.
- Extra late-night trains in the early hours at weekends from Edinburgh to West Lothian, Fife, Dundee, and North Berwick (with a connection for Dunbar).
- An extra service running after midnight between North Berwick and Edinburgh from Friday 3 until Sunday 12 August, getting people to and from the Fringe by the Sea.
Extra carriages will be added on all routes out of Edinburgh Waverley, with the Borders benefitting from an extra 34 carriages on trains throughout the day. Services between the capital and Fife, Perth, Dundee will see an increase of 11 per cent compared with last year.
We are expecting services to be extremely popular throughout the Festivals. To help your journey go smoothly, we recommend buying your tickets and planning your journey in advance. You can do this below, or by downloading our free app.
If you have an Off Peak Day Return ticket, you can use the return portion on our additional late night/early morning services.
If you’re travelling with kids (up to age 15), you can bring up to two them free of charge when you buy a ‘Kids Go Free’ off peak return.
Edinburgh – Glasgow Queen Street via Falkirk High
- Two extra services departing late night/early mornings from 3 to 26 August
- These will depart each night at 0003 and 0033.
- Calling at Haymarket, Linlithgow, Polmont, Falkirk High, Croy, Lenzie, and Bishopbriggs.
Edinburgh – Glasgow Queen Street low level via Bathgate
- Extra service departing late night/early mornings on Fridays and Saturdays from 3 to 25 August
- Departing at 0011 on Friday nights and 0009 on Saturday nights, calling at all stations except High Street.
Edinburgh – Glenrothes via Dunfermline
- Extra service on Friday nights from 3 to 24 August
- Departing at 2359, calling at all stations to Glenrothes with Thornton via Dunfermline.
Edinburgh – Dundee
- Extra service on Friday and Saturdays nights from 3 to 25 August
- Departing at 2352, calling at all stations to Dundee – Haymarket, Sotuth Gyle, Dalmeny, North Queensferry, Inverkeithing, Dalgety Bay, Aberdour, Burntisland, Kinghorn, Kirkcaldy, Markinch, Ladybank, Cupar, Leuchars and Dundee.
Edinburgh – North Berwick/Dunbar
- Extra late night/early morning services on Friday and Saturday nights from 3 to 25 August
- Departing at 0010, calling at all stations to North Berwick.
- Customers for Dunbar can change at Drem for a dedicated bus connection (rail tickets will be accepted).
During Fringe by the Sea, we’ll be running an extra service from North Berwick back to Edinburgh just after midnight.
North Berwick – Edinburgh, late night/early morning trains from Friday 3 until Sunday 12 August
- Extra trains for customers returning from Fringe by the Sea.
- Departing at 0003, calling at all stations.
- Last train usually at 2227 Monday to Friday, 2222 on Saturdays, 2220 on Sundays.
During the Edinburgh Festival, return portions of Off Peak Day Return tickets will be valid for travel on early morning additional services.