We’ve introduced new low-cost fares for travel on selected routes across Scotland.
These discounted single fares are available for travel on routes where reservations are allowed and will start from £5, with up to five levels of Advance fare available.
Tickets can be purchased up to 12 weeks before travel and a limited number of tickets for each fare will be available, so customers who are able to book in advance will receive the biggest discount.
Here’s a quick example of how it works:
Before these new fares were introduced, only two Advance single tickets were available between Glasgow and Inverness: £26.90 and £11.40. With the new booking system, an additional three Advance single fares are being offered: at £5, £8, and £18.80.
What routes are they available on?
Fares available on reservable routes only:
- Glasgow – Aberdeen
- Edinburgh – Aberdeen
- Inverness – Aberdeen
- Glasgow – Oban
- Glasgow – Fort William
- Inverness – Wick/Kyle
- Glasgow – Inverness
- Edinburgh – Inverness
- *Glasgow - Mallaig (subsequently added)
Terms and conditions
- Advance fares will be released into booking systems 12 weeks in advance of travel
- Tickets are for single journeys. Eg Glasgow Queen Street – Inverness, not Glasgow Queen Street – Wick
- Discounts for children, railcard holders and Club 50 members will apply
- The cheapest Advance fares do not include a seat reservation
- As with all Advance purchases, customers must travel on the service specified on their ticket
- Tickets can be purchased at stations, online, via the ScotRail app, telesales or rail appointed travel agents - they cannot be purchased on train or via ticket vending machines