Football fans travelling to Scotland’s World Cup Qualifier at Hampden Park this weekend will benefit from more seat on trains to and from the stadium, ScotRail has announced.
Scotland host Israel on Saturday, 9 October at 5pm, and to help keep everyone moving, ScotRail is adding more trains to and from Mount Florida, the closest station to Hampden, as well as key routes to and from the city centre.
Now that most coronavirus restrictions have been lifted, queuing systems may be in place at Glasgow Central before the match, and at Mount Florida after the final whistle.
After the match, supporters are encouraged to head back to Mount Florida as fast as possible and join the queues on Bolton Drive. Customers are asked to take this queuing system into account when planning journeys home.
Supporters heading to the game are advised to allow additional time for travel as services will still be busy. Purchasing their return tickets to Mount Florida in advance will help to avoid additional queuing on the day.
To help everyone’s journey go smoothly, ScotRail will have extra staff on hand to help customers.
Fans who may consider spending the night in Glasgow should be aware that ongoing industrial action means a very limited service is in operation on Sundays and customers should take this into consideration when making their travel plans.
Customers are also reminded that the wearing of a face covering remains mandatory both on trains and in stations, and the consumption of alcohol remains prohibited on ScotRail services.
Phil Campbell, ScotRail Head of Customer Operations, said:
“We wish the Scotland national team the best of luck in their crucial World Cup Qualifier against Israel on Saturday.
“To help fans get to the game, we’ll be adding more seats to trains to Mount Florida and on key routes to and from the city centre. Customers should, however, plan their journeys in advance and make sure they buy their tickets before they board.
“We’re asking fans to head back to the station as soon as you can after the final whistle, and not to leave it to the last train of the night to get home.”
ScotRail’s top tips for travelling to Scotland matches
1. Buy your ticket before you board. You’ll need a valid ticket for travel and checks will be in place at many stations – including Mount Florida.
2. Check your train times. Remember to leave plenty of time to catch any connecting services that you need.
3. Listen up! We’ll have extra staff on the ground to help things go smoothly. To help them help you, please listen to their instructions.
4. Download the ScotRail app. You can use it to buy tickets, check train times, and see live service information.
5. Don’t leave it too late – there will be queuing systems at key stations before and after the game. Services will be busy, and you might not be able to board your first choice of train.