From our commitments to your development, our range of benefits and our approach to Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging we believe there are many reasons to join the team at ScotRail.
ScotRail provides nearly 100 million passenger journeys each year, with over 2,300 intercity, regional and suburban rail services a day, more than 340 stations, and just under 800 trains serving Scotland's railway. The ScotRail network is vital to Scotland's communities, and to the country's booming tourist industry.
With over 5,000 employees, based across Scotland, we are a large employer with a proud history. But there’s more to ScotRail than you think.
Meet our people
Here, you can watch videos and read first-hand accounts from employees across ScotRail.
Read about our first all-female trainee driver cohort, where we hear from trainee drivers Anne Cameron and Fiona Hynd-Morrison, here .
Click here to read about one of our Customer Service Assistants, who tells us about her experience in the railway with an invisible disability.
With continued significant investment and change on Scotland’s Railway, we’re well on the way to achieving our ambition of building the best railway Scotland’s ever had.
Our people have been central to defining ScotRail’s vision and values, creating an identity and structure we can all understand, feel part of, and play a role in.
We’re committed to listening to our people. They defined our vision and values which underpin our identity and guide our behaviours. They demonstrate how we treat our passengers and each other and help us deliver our business vision:
Customer Driven – Make our customers day through walking in our customers shoes
Collaborative – One team working together to make things easier for everyone
Encouraging – Support colleagues to be their best and go that extra mile
Honest – Build trust by doing what we say we’ll do and deliver on our promises
Bold – Think outside the box and be empowered to make a difference
Your health, wellbeing and benefits
Everyone across Scotland’s Railway plays a key role in developing, reinforcing, and changing the culture of our organisation. We know they can only perform at their best if we look after their well-being, from physical and mental health through to the training and development opportunities they have.
We want our employees to be healthy, happy and inspired.
We have a range of benefits including:
- Free rail travel on all ScotRail services for you, your partner and children
- Discounted travel on national and international rail services for you, your partner and children
- Discounted ‘Friends and Family’ rail tickets for ScotRail services
- Defined Pension Benefit Scheme from day one
- Employee Assistance Programme, giving free and confidential advice to colleagues
- Mental Health First Aiders
- Maternity/ Paternity leave
- Discounted shopping on lots of high street stores and discounted tickets on days out
- Access to the Transport Credit Union
- Annual cycle to work discount scheme
- One volunteering day a year, paid
- Match funding for any charity fundraising
- Generous annual leave allocation
- Automatic entry to Healthshield, giving you money back on things like dental treatment and podiatry
- Employee Recognition scheme for those going the extra mile
What Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging means to us
People make our organisation and that’s why we’re committed to promoting Inclusion for All by creating a culture that embraces Diversity, Inclusion and Belonging for everyone. We aim to build a workforce that’s as diverse as our customers and strive to create an inclusive environment where employees feel confident bringing their whole selves to work each day.
Our approach to diversity is simple - it’s about embracing everyone, as it’s through our differences we create strength. We’re very proud that our ongoing commitment to make Diversity & Inclusion our way of doing business has resulted in being externally recognised and accredited as Leaders in Diversity .
Be the difference - Join us!
Ready to apply?
Check our application hints and tips to give you the best possible chance to succeed.