Our Business Areas
ScotRail has 8 Directorates:
The HR department is responsible for all things worker related. This includes workforce planning and recruitment, training and development, early careers work, payroll, employee and manager support, employment policies and benefits. They also develop our longer-term strategies for people development and growth.
The finance department is the part of the organisation that manages the money. It is responsible for dealing with the day to day activities as well as looking to the future to determining the company’s financial stability.
Our commercial department is focussed on winning new business, exploring new avenues of activity, and seeking opportunities for the company to develop and grow our customer base.
The customer operations team are responsible for delivering and managing many of our essential customer-facing, front-line teams and services, including our booking offices, Gateline, ticket examiners and station colleagues.
The communications department is responsible for protecting the reputation of the business and promoting the work that we do. This includes a wide range of communication activity targeted at our people, our customers, the media, and our stakeholders.
Our operations department oversee the day to day running of our train service. The team plan the timetable for the trains, provide information to customers to allow them to plan their journey, and deliver the service our customers expect and deserve.
Sustainability and Safety Assurance Director
Our sustainability and safety team combine health and safety into longer term sustainable practices to, provide economic stability, protect the company and the environment.
Railway operations require rolling stock i.e. the trains on the track, and our Engineering department look after every aspect of train reliability from procuring stock to cleaning the trains.
Did you know…?
- ScotRail is a Living Wage employer
- We have over 70 staff trained as Mental Health first aiders
- We have 9 different fleets delivering passenger services, 4 diesel and 5 electric
- We operate 352 stations
- We spend over £1m a year on training and developing our people
- In 2019, we visited 150 schools received rail safety visits and over 6,000 young people were educated on rail safety
- On a weekday, we deliver over 2,300 services
- From 2018 to 2019, we reduced our carbon footprint by over 16,000 tonnes
- We offer free travel to jobseekers attending interviews
Ready to apply?
Check our application hints and tips to give you the best possible chance to succeed