Kids for a Quid
Travel with the kids, for just a quid
Travelling with the kids won't cost the earth when you book your Kids for a Quid ticket and travel at the weekend or on any off-peak service. For every paying adult, up to four children can travel for just £1 return each making exploring with the family great value for money.
Kids for a Quid tickets are available with most adult tickets and are also now available with your ScotRail Season Ticket or Flexipass.
- Just £1 for each child’s ticket, valid for up to four children
- Valid for use alongside ScotRail Singles, Returns, Season Tickets and Flexipass products
- No need to book in advance — just buy a Kids for a Quid ticket at the ticket office and go
- Available for off-peak travel and weekends all year-round, including school holidays
- Free entry for one child at top attractions
What you need to know
- You can’t break your journey, unless you have to make a connection to reach your destination station
- It can be bought or added to an adult ticket at staffed ticket offices or on-train
- Available to buy at staffed stations and when you buy on-board
- Valid for standard class travel only
- Kids for a Quid cannot be used on CrossCountry services
- Kids for a Quid is not valid on services to and from Lockerbie
- Refunds or changes to tickets are not available with Kids for a Quid
- Children can't travel alone with a Kids for a Quid ticket
How to buy your ticket
- At any ScotRail ticket office
Please note: Kids for a Quid doesn't have to be purchased at the same time as an adult ticket. If you have purchased your ticket online or from a ticket vending machine, you can still add Kids for a Quid at a ScotRail ticket office or on-train.
Off-peak only. Generally, this means after 9.15 on weekdays and any time at the weekend.
Children travel for £1 each
You can take up to four children aged 5 to 15 when they travel with an adult. When you buy a ticket, you have to specify how many children will travel with you and you will be charged £1 per child per return journey. You don’t need to include children under age five, they travel for free on all ScotRail services.
Use it on
All ScotRail trains.
Not available for
Journeys on CrossCountry services or services to and from Lockerbie.
Buy a day return ticket if you’re coming back on the same day. An open return lets you come back on any day within one month.
Kids for a Quid can also be used in conjunction with Singles, Season Tickets, Flexipass and Club 50 discounted tickets.
Buying your ticket
Buy in advance or on the day of your journey.
There’s no need to reserve a seat on any ScotRail service. If you want to reserve a seat for longer journeys you can do this up to 12 weeks before you travel.
First class upgrade and railcard discounts
Kids Visit Free deals
Get one free child entry to some of Scotland’s most popular attractions when you travel with a Kids for a Quid ticket.
From Edinburgh Zoo to Glasgow Snow Factor, RRS Discovery to Aberdeen Science Centre... Check out the incredible places you can visit and enjoy great value days out, all year round.