Work on the almost £5million makeover of Stirling station and the area around the station began on Monday, 18 July 2022.
When completed by spring 2023, the project will provide safe pedestrian and cycle friendly areas that will deliver sustainable transport options and a greener environment.
Improvements being made to the station include:
- Refurbishment of the station entrance canopy.
- Creating a pedestrianised plaza around the station.
- Improved customer waiting facilities on platforms 2 and 3 and new public toilets.
- The creation of a Cyclepoint with 150 additional cycle parking spaces and a small maintenance area. This will also enhance the e-bike offering on the station forecourt, which is already very popular.
- Pedestrianisation of the current station forecourt, replacing the roundabout on Goosecroft Road with a T-junction and a new car park entrance created from Burghmuir Road.
- Existing bridge top deck waterproofing works in advance of the forecourt works.
- Taxis being relocated out with the station area to the city centre, also managed by Stirling Council.
Customers and locals will benefit from improved safety with the reduction of traffic, including taxis, in front of the station and new cycle routes will provide improved active travel links to the city centre and wider Stirling area, such as the University campus, which ties in with Stirling Council’s ‘Walk, Cycle, Live Stirling’ scheme.
The redevelopment of the station is in line with the Scottish Government’s target of net zero emissions by 2045, with opportunities for walking, wheeling, and cycling for both active travel and recreation aligned with travel by public transport.
Funding is being provided by the Scottish Government, delivered through Sustrans, and Stirling Council. Network Rail Scotland and Serco Group have also contributed to the funding. The contractor for the work is Luddon Construction. The redevelopment is managed by ScotRail.
Work to complete the redevelopment has meant some changes to access, and the relocation of some of the stations facilities. The map below shows the temporary layout:
Please be aware that the North and South car parks are currently closed as part of the station redevelopment work. There are five spaces available in the North car park for Blue Badge holders.
Due to ongoing improvement works on the A9 Duel Carriageway and Thistle Road, and in the Goosecroft Road and Station Road areas, access to Stirling station is retricted. The following arrangements are in place:
- North Carpark open for use until 4pm on 11 April.
- South Carpark open for use from 1pm on 11 April until 12pm on 28 April.
- The North Car Park fully reopens at 8am on 28 April.
Disabled or persons with limited mobility are permitted to use the temporary drop-off / disabled spaces for pre-arranged station pick ups.