Borders Railway: Edinburgh – Tweedbank.
Travel the longest new domestic railway to be built in over 100 years, deep into the picturesque Scottish Borders and the land of Sir Walter Scott.
From the grandeur of the Scottish capital to the Borders town of Tweedbank, this scenic route takes you through former mining towns, wide open farmland and the lush valleys that the Borders are famous for.
Time your trip around sunset for spectacular views between Gorebridge and Stow, and make the short bus or taxi journey from Tweedbank to Melrose to explore the historic market town.
- Edinburgh to Tweedbank – in less than an hour
Look out for
- Edinburgh’s Salisbury Crags and Arthur’s Seat, towering over the east side of the capital
- The incredible sunsets on the long stretch from Gorebridge to Stow
Consider stopping at
- Newcraighall for the huge Fort Kinnaird shopping park
- Newtongrange to visit the Scottish Mining Museum
- Galashiels to watch top Scottish rugby side, Gala RFC at their Netherdale home
- Tweedbank for Abbotsford House and Melrose Abbey
The Borders Railway begins at a station named after a novel by Sir Walter Scott, and ends just a stone’s throw from where he wrote it. From Edinburgh Waverly to Tweedbank this new stretch of track opens up the Scottish Borders for the first time since 1969.
The train heads south from Edinburgh, passing through old mining villages such as Newtongrange and Gorebridge, into Scotland’s former industrial heartlands.
From there, the train passes through a rural stretch of open farmland – perfect for a sunset trip between Gorebridge and Stow for spectacular skies.
From Stow the train pushes on to Galashiels, one of the largest towns in the borders, with a long history of textiles. From there it’s only a few minutes to Tweedbank, a jumping off point to explore the pretty market town of Melrose, or head out to Abbotsford House, Sir Walter Scott’s home, to explore the history of one of Scotland’s most famous writers.
Want to make the most of your trip to the Borders? Local buses and taxis connect the Borders Railway with towns and attractions:
- Borders Sightseeing: Hop-on/hop-off weekend bus tour. The tour starts at Galashiels and visits Abbotsford House, Tweedbank station, Melrose, St Boswells, Dryburgh Abbey, Wallace Statue and Scotts View
- Border Weaver: Hop-on/hop-off bus route connecting Galashiels and Tweedbank stations with Abbotsford House and Melrose Abbey
- Lothian buses: Services in and around the Scottish Borders including Eskbank to Roslin for the Rosslyn Chapel
- Local taxis: Dalkeith Taxis - 0131 654 1212, Midlothian Taxi Hire Company - 0131 440 2985, Aerial ABW Cabs - 0131 663 2000
Travel passes and discounts
Ways to save:
- Edinburgh Days Out travel pass: 2 days of unlimited off-peak travel within around an hour of Edinburgh
- Spirit of Scotland travel pass: travel across Scotland over 1-2 weeks by train, ferry and coach
- Kids Go Free ticket: travel off-peak and up to two children aged 5-15 can travel free with each adult
- Railcards: see if you could save with a national or regional Railcard
Borders Railway offers
Make great savings on attractions and more when you travel with ScotRail.
One of the region’s characteristics is its rural setting and picturesque countryside, and many of the attractions are some distance from the railway. Bus connections and taxis are available at the Galashiels Transport Interchange, just across the road from the station.
Check out the individual offers to see what you could save.
Cringletie House Hotel
Buy one Scottish afternoon tea, get one free with a valid rail ticket for that day. Pre-booking required.Closest station: Stow
Itihaas, Nirvana and Radhuni Restaurants
Visit these award-winning Bangladeshi restaurants by train and get a free taxi* when your restaurant bill exceeds £80.Closest station: Eskbank
Johnstons of Elgin
Take a free, guided tour around the mill and get 15% off your own piece of cashmere when you travel by train.Closest station: Galashiels
Kids eat free
Award winning bar and brasserie serving fresh, seasonal produce for breakfast lunch and dinner.Closest station: Eskbank