You're ready to become the boss of your commute, now it's time to get smarter about Smartcard. We've got all the answers you'll need to make sure you enjoy travel that's easier than ever.
ScotRail Smartcards can be used to store tickets for travel across multiple modes of transport and multiple transport operators. This means you can travel on bus, rail and subway using just one ITSO Smartcard, rather than needing separate Smartcards or paper tickets for each operator.
Visit the Smart Travel website to see the full list of Smart options.
Smartcard tickets are the same price as paper tickets, but some of our best value products will only be available on Smartcard, like our new Smart Super Off-Peak Day Return.
When you buy a Season Ticket on Smartcard you’ll get other exclusive benefits online:
- A third off Standard Off-Peak Single and Return tickets for you and three adults aged 16+ when you're travelling together
- A £5 First Class upgrade on off-peak travel for you and three adults travelling together on your usual Season Ticket route
Log into My ScotRail to see details of your ScotRail tickets on your ScotRail Smartcard. Details are updated overnight so tickets you buy today will be shown in your online account tomorrow.
You can also check details of your ScotRail tickets at our ticket machines, and using the 'My Tickets' section of the app - see here for details.
If your ScotRail ticket is on another Smartcard, contact the card issuer.
|Product/Card issuer||ScotRail Smartcard||SPT Personalised Smartcard||GrassHOPPER Smartcard|
|ScotRail ticket||Log into My ScotRail
ScotRail ticket machine
|SPT Smartcard team||
GrassHOPPER team on 01467 533080 or [email protected]
You can buy certain ScotRail tickets for your ScotRail Smartcard at our ticket machines. They’ll be loaded onto your card immediately and will appear in your My ScotRail account the next day.
ScotRail Smartcards can be used to store tickets for travel across multiple modes of transport and multiple transport operators, but these won’t appear in your My ScotRail account.
Buy your Season Ticket on Smartcard for access to deals and discounts on high-street shopping, food, drink and travel with our new Smart rewards.
Follow the link to Smart rewards from your My ScotRail account. You'll only see the link if you have an active ScotRail Season Ticket on your Smartcard.
To browse all offers
- Log into your My ScotRail account
- Click the 'View details' button next to your Smartcard
If you have more than one Smartcard, choose the one with your Season Ticket on it
- Scroll down to the 'Tickets on this card' section and click on the 'Smart rewards' banner to see all current offers
- Click on the offer title for full details, terms and conditions and to claim
As a Smart Season Ticket holder, buy online and you can also get:
- A third off Standard Off-Peak single and return tickets for you and three friends when you travel together
- A £5 First Class upgrade on Off-Peak travel for you and three friends travelling together on your usual Season Ticket route
The Under 25 Advance Purchase discount entitles you to 10% off Advance fares on ScotRail services, for Standard Class travel on a range of longer distance routes.
It is available to anyone under the age of 25, exclusively on Smartcard.
How to apply
- Visit My ScotRail to sign up for a Smartcard or log into your existing Smartcard account
- You'll be asked to provide your date of birth and, if you qualify, the Under 25 Advance Purchase entitlement will automatically be added to your Smartcard
- Follow the instructions online to complete your order
- Buy tickets online
- Enter your journey details and select UNDER 25 ADVANCE from the Railcard drop down list
- If an Advance fare is available for your selected journey, the prices shown will include the Under 25 Advance discount
- Follow the instructions to purchase the ticket and put on your Smartcard
Note: Normal conditions of Advance fares apply. Reservations are compulsory and will be made at the time of purchase - you'll need to present your booking confirmation along with your Smartcard when you travel.
You can make changes and get refunds on some tickets, with an administration fee.
Tickets on ScotRail Smartcards
- If you bought your ticket online please use our online refund request form.
- If you purchased at a booking office, you can request a refund there.
It can take a couple of seconds for your Smartcard to validate on the target area. If the problem continues, let one of the ScotRail team know and continue on your journey. If the problem continues, call our Smartcard team on 0344 811 0141.
You’ll need to buy a new ticket for your journey.
You may be eligible for a refund of the replacement ticket under certain circumstances. Call our Smartcard team on 0344 811 0141 to find out more.
If your details have changed since you signed up for your My ScotRail account, you can update your name, address, email and phone number online:
- Log into My ScotRail
- Enter your email address and password and click 'Log in' to go to your account dashboard
- Click on 'Edit account details' to update your name, address and phone number
- To update your email address and/or password, follow the link at the bottom of the 'Edit account details' form
(You'll be taken to My Account - update your details and tick the box to accept the T&Cs or the changes won't be saved)
If you've signed up with the wrong date of birth or want to cancel your Smartcard, please call our Smartcard team on 0344 811 0141.