Luxury you can get onboard with.
Until 31 March 2020, we've got a special offer on intercity First Class travel, where you can upgrade for just £5 one way. This offer is only available from a booking office or onboard. Find out more here.
Travel in extra comfort with a seat in our first-class carriages, available on board eXpress services between Edinburgh and Glasgow and Inter7City trains. Enjoy plenty more legroom, larger seats and free refreshments*.
For the best deals on First Class tickets, buy in Advance before you board and save up to 30%. You can also buy or upgrade to First Class at ticket offices or onboard.
If you're travelling eXpress between Edinburgh and Glasgow, it can be more affordable than you think. Upgrade your season ticket or flexi-pass to First Class for as little as £3.15 each way. Or for a treat on a day out, upgrade for £5 each way and make the journey part of the occasion.
On our Inter7City routes, upgrade to First Class for just £5 each way for travel until 31 March, 2020. See below for more of our current upgrade offers.
- Extra space and comfort
- Plug sockets at every seat
- A blind for those sunny days, or when you would rather not see the Scottish weather
- Free drinks and snacks
- Fully flexible tickets options available
What you need to know
- Available on a range of routes across our network
- Some restrictions on when you can travel may apply. See all the facts below
- You can make changes or get a refund to your ticket - a £10 admin fee applies
- Refunds are not available on tickets bought or upgraded onboard
How to buy
- From ticket offices at staffed stations
- From ticket vending machines
- Upgrades available on some routes, both on-train and from ticket offices
*Free refreshments are subject to availability of catering on-board.
Until 31 March 2020, upgrade for just £5 one way on intercity travel. Find out more here.
For travel after then, the prices below apply.
Edinburgh - Glasgow eXpress Services
- Upgrade single tickets on weekdays for just £6 each way, or on weekends for just £5 each way
- Upgrade your weekly ticket for just £27
- Upgrade on weekdays for just £15 each way
- Upgrade on weekends for just £10 each way
All upgrades are available from ticket offices or from your conductor onboard. Upgrades are subject to availability.
On Inter7City routes, book Advance and save up to 30% on our First Class fares, including Edinburgh - Aberdeen for just £45. Advance savings are available up to 12 weeks before you travel.
For more on ScotRail Inter7City, click here.
Use it on
Any ScotRail routes with First Class accommodation. First Class Anytime Day tickets are only available on Edinburgh to Glasgow routes with First Class accommodation.
When it's valid
- With a First Class Anytime Single, outward travel is valid for two days from the date shown on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Return, outward travel is valid for five days from the date shown on your outward ticket, and return travel must be made within one month from the date on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Day, outward and return travel must be made on the date shown on the ticket.
You don't need to reserve a seat, but reservations are available on some longer distance services.
Our First Class areas don't have wheelchair accommodation or wheelchair access to accessible toilets. To travel in First Class, wheelchair users would need to be able to transfer to a seat.
Standard Railcard discounts apply for Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders.
There's a 50% discount for children aged 5-15 and under 5's travel free.
Refunds can be made on unused tickets up to 28 days after the expiry of ticket. A £10 admin fee applies.
Changes to your travel plans
You can change your travel plans before the outward journey. A £10 admin fee applies.
Breaking your journey
You can break your journey at stations along the route you're travelling.