Timetable - trains from Edinburgh to Inverness
Train tickets, times and fares.
The capital of the Highlands, Inverness is Scotland’s most northerly city – with excellent places to eat, and all the outdoor activities you could wish for.
The train to Inverness is spectacular. Whichever direction you arrive from, the city is surrounded by some of Scotland’s most beautiful landscapes. There’s the Speyside whisky country to the east, the Highlands to the west and the Cairngorms to the south.
|Direct trains available?||Yes|
|Trains per day||11|
Next trains from Edinburgh to Inverness
Live departures for direct trains leaving in the next two hours.
|3 days in advance||£22.90|
|1 month in advance||£11.80|
|3 months in advance||£5.00|
First and last trains
These are the usual first and last train times on this route from Monday to Friday. Times may vary at weekends and public holidays. Check exact train times when you plan your journey and book tickets online.
Fares quoted for services via Aviemore. Off-Peak from 09:16 Mon-Fri and all day Sat-Sun.
Best fare finder
Get a five-day view of the cheapest fares found on your route by other ScotRail customers.
How to find the best fare
- Enter your travel dates/times, add any Railcards and click 'Submit' to view ticket options
- You'll see the 'More great fares' box if cheaper tickets might be available within +/- 3 days. Click to see the 5-day view
- Check one to see when that fare was last available and the exact departure times
- Pick your preferred journey to see the current best available price
- Click 'Next' to book or go 'Back to timetable view'