Bikes on trains
Go for a long jaunt through the countryside, or speed up your journey home.
You’ll find designated cycle spaces on all of our trains.
For some journeys, you’ll need to reserve a space for your bike, as these services are long distance routes and often busy. Reservations on the following routes are compulsory:
- Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen
- Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness
- Glasgow, Oban, Fort William and Mallaig
- Aberdeen and Inverness
- Inverness, Wick, Thurso and Kyle of Lochalsh
Reserving a cycle space
You can make a reservation on the phone, online, or in person:
- Book online when you buy your train ticket
- Call our telesales team on 0344 811 0141 (Option 2) Monday – Friday between 9am – 5pm. If you are calling at the weekend please choose option 3 for our Customer Relations team who will make the reservation for you.
- Visit one of our staffed stations
Where you can't book a spot, spaces are given on a first come first served basis. If you're travelling at peak times, bear in mind that commuter services usually have very limited space.
Due to on-train space restrictions and for customer and staff safety, we are unable to accommodate tandems, tricycles and non-folding cycle trailers on our trains.
ScotRail welcome electric cycles (e-bikes) on our services. Where cycle storage is provided that involves hanging the bike up by the wheel on our hooked cycle storage, we recommend where possible that customers remove their e-bike battery. This will reduce the bike's weight and make it easier for you when lifting your bike onto the hook.
Please note, to avoid damaging the on-train electrical circuits, ScotRail cannot allow e-bikes to be charged via the plug sockets on our trains.
ScotRail don’t allow motorbikes or mopeds, including electric mopeds on any of our services.
Short platforms: make sure you’re in the right carriage
Some peak trains are longer than the platform on the Glasgow to Edinburgh (via Falkirk High), Gourock, Wemyss Bay, Ayr, Ardrossan and Largs routes. Make sure your bike is in the right place so you get off the train in time.