Spirit of Scotland
This travel pass lets you explore the whole of Scotland.
Travel the Great Scenic Rail Journeys. Explore Scotland’s west coast and islands – to the furthest point of the Outer Hebrides, if you want. Explore the wilderness of the far north, or the urban delights of Scotland’s seven cities.
Wherever you choose to go, the Spirit of Scotland travel pass makes it easy to get around – it includes travel on trains, buses, coaches and ferries. You don’t need to book ahead, and you decide where and when you want to travel.
- Four days unlimited travel over eight consecutive days for £139
- Eight days unlimited travel over 15 consecutive days for £179
- Great value
- Use for the train, ferry and coach
- Flexible: you choose when to travel
- No need to book in advance
- Use your Railcard
- Hop on-hop off as much as you like
- Only valid for Standard Class and off-peak travel
- Your travel is flexible, but the validity period is not: the 8- or 15-day period starts on the first day of travel
- Free travel for under 5s, half price for 5-15s
- There’s a £10 admin fee for changes or refunds
The cost of your Spirit of Scotland travel pass includes:
- Train travel in Scotland – to/from Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with ScotRail, Virgin, Cross Country, East Coast and First TransPennine Express. On some lines you won't be able to travel at peak times
- Ferry travel to the west coast and isles – with Caledonian MacBrayne on all routes in Scotland, and between Gourock and Dunoon with Argyll Ferries
- 20% off ferry travel to Orkney and Shetland – on Northlink Ferries journeys between Scrabster – Stromness, Aberdeen – Lerwick and Aberdeen – Kirkwall – Lerwick
- 20% off ferry travel to Northern Ireland* – on Stena Line journeys between Ayr – Cairnryan – Belfast.
- Coach travel – on selected routes including Argyll, Skye, the Borders and Northern Highlands, with Scottish Citylink*, Stagecoach and West Coast Motors
- Subway travel – on the Glasgow Subway
- Tram travel – with Edinburgh Trams
And there are some extras too:
- Money off steam travel – with 10% off Strathspey Steam Railway and Keith & Dufftown Railway, and £1 off Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway standard fares
- Money off loch cruises – with 20% off Sweeney’s Loch Lomond Cruises, 15% off Cruise Loch Lomond, and 10% off Jacobite Loch Ness Cruises
- Money off city bus tours – with £1 off standard fares on bus tours of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness
- Money off car and taxi hire* – with 20% off standard car hire with Arnold Clark in Glasgow or Edinburgh, and 10% off standard car or taxi hire with KyleTaxis/Skye Car Hire
How does it work?
For most offers, just show your Spirit of Scotland travel pass. *Starred offers must be pre-booked direct with each partner. Find out more
Please note that some partners run amended, reduced or suspended operations over the winter.
You can buy the Spirit of Scotland travel pass from:
- The ticket office at any staffed station
- By phone on 0344 811 0141
- Or complete our call-back form online
Travelling from outside the UK? Buy online from BritRail here
There are two options to choose from:
- Get four days unlimited travel over eight consecutive days
- Or travel for eight out of 15 consecutive days
You can visit stunning destinations all around Scotland with unlimited train travel, and journeys by coach, bus and ferry.
Check out our Explore Scotland pages for inspiration, including:
With a Spirit of Scotland Travelpass you get:
- Unlimited train travel in Scotland to/from Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with ScotRail, Virgin, Cross Country, East Coast and First TransPennine Express
- Unlimited travel on the Glasgow Subway
- 10% discount on standard fares with the Strathspey Steam Railway
- 10% off Keith & Dufftown Railway standard fares
- £1 off standard fares with Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway (excludes Thomas Days Out)
- Travel on the following routes with Scottish Citylink* and West Coast Motors:
- Oban/Fort William - Inverness
- Oban - Campbeltown
- Kyle of Lochalsh - Uig
- Inverness - Ullapool
*Book your Scottish Citylink journey in advance on 0871 266 3333 (24 hours)
Calls cost 12p/minute from BT landlines plus network extras. Charges from other providers or mobiles may vary.
- Travel with Stagecoach East Scotland and Stagecoach in the Highlands on the following routes:
- Dundee/Leuchars - St Andrews
- Services on the Isle of Skye
- Wick - John O'Groats
- Thurso - John O'Groats
- Thurso - Scrabster
- Travel with West Coast Motors/Borders Buses on the following routes:
- Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh
- Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with City Sightseeing Glasgow
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with The Edinburgh Bus Tour
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with City Sightseeing Inverness
- Travel free with Caledonian MacBrayne on all ferry routes in Scotland
- Travel between Gourock and Dunoon with Argyll Ferries
- Get 20% off these Northlink Ferries journeys when Seated Standard tickets are purchased on the day of travel:
- Scrabster - Stromness
- Aberdeen - Lerwick
- Aberdeen - Kirkwall - Lerwick
- 20% discount on standard fares with Sweeney Cruises (Loch Lomond)
- 10% discount on standard fares with Jacobite Cruises (Loch Ness)
You can travel anytime over the weekend, and from Monday to Friday you can travel on trains departing after 09.15.
There are no restrictions on the following routes:
- Glasgow Queen Street - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig
- Inverness - Kyle/Wick/Thurso
- Glasgow Central - Stranraer
- Direct services from Lockerbie to Carlisle, Carstairs, Motherwell or Glasgow Central
No, there's no need to book in advance.
No, not at all.
No, Travelpasses are flexible so you don't need a reservation.
16-25, Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders can get a discount on full-priced travel passes.
Yes, there's a 50% discount for children aged 5-15 and under 5's travel free.
No, you can't upgrade to First Class on any of our travel passes.
Yes, you can get a refund, subject to a £10 administration fee, for each unused ticket given back to us before the date of travel.
Yes, you have unlimited travel, but you can't change the travel validity period of travel passes.
Yes, you have the freedom to break up your journey as long as your travel pass is still valid.