Spirit of Scotland
Uncover the true spirit of Scotland – from the wilderness of the far north, to the urban delights of Scotland’s seven cities.
Head for the Highlands or explore Scotland’s west coast and islands. The freedom of Scotland is yours.
Wherever you choose to go, the Spirit of Scotland travel pass makes it easy to get around. It includes travel on trains, buses, coaches and ferries. Get four days’ travel over eight consecutive days for £139, or eight days’ travel over 15 days for £179.
Use the route map to help you decide on your destinations. Travel on your chosen days is unlimited and there’s no need to book ahead, just decide what you want to visit and when you want to travel, then go.
What’s in it for me?
Follow travel storyteller, lifestyler and gadgeteer One Tech Traveller around Scotland. Read more
Explore every corner of Scotland with unlimited travel by rail, sail, and coach. Read more
- Four days unlimited travel over eight consecutive days: £139
- Eight days unlimited travel over 15 consecutive days: £179
- Great value
- Travel by train, ferry and coach
- Flexible – you choose when to travel
- No need to book in advance
- Discounts for Railcard users
- Hop on-hop off as much as you like
Need to know
- Only valid for Standard Class and off-peak travel
- The 8- or 15-day period starts on the first day of travel
- Free travel for under 5s, half price for 5-15s
- There’s a £10 admin fee for changes or refunds
Your Spirit of Scotland travel pass includes:
- Train travel in Scotland – and journeys to and from Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with ScotRail, Virgin Trains, CrossCountry, LNER, and First TransPennine Express. On some lines you won't be able to travel at peak times
- Ferry travel to the west coast and isles – with Caledonian MacBrayne, and with Argyll Ferries between Gourock and Dunoon
- 20% off ferry travel to Orkney and Shetland – on Northlink Ferries including Scrabster – Stromness, Aberdeen – Lerwick and Aberdeen – Kirkwall – Lerwick
- 20% off ferry travel to Northern Ireland* – on Stena Line journeys to Belfast
- Coach travel – on selected routes including Argyll, Skye, the Borders and Northern Highlands, with Scottish Citylink*, Stagecoach and West Coast Motors
- Subway and tram travel – on the Glasgow Subway and Edinburgh Trams
Enjoy these money-off extras too:
- Steam travel – 10% off Strathspey Steam Railway and Keith & Dufftown Railway, and £1 off Bo’ness & Kinneil Railway standard fares
- Loch cruises – 20% off Sweeney’s Loch Lomond Cruises, 15% off Cruise Loch Lomond, and 10% off Jacobite Loch Ness Cruises
- City bus tours – £1 off standard fares on bus tours of Glasgow, Edinburgh and Inverness
- Car and taxi hire* – 20% off standard car hire with Arnold Clark in Glasgow or Edinburgh, and 10% off standard car or taxi hire with KyleTaxis/Skye Car Hire
How does it work?
For most offers, just show your Spirit of Scotland travel pass. *Starred offers must be pre-booked direct with each partner. Find out more
During the winter months, some partners run amended, reduced or suspended operations.
You can buy the Spirit of Scotland travel pass:
- From the ticket office at any staffed station
- By phone on 0344 811 0141
- As an M-Pass mobile ticket – find out how M-Pass works
Buy Spirit of Scotland M-Pass
What it is
The M-Pass is a mobile ticket delivered to your phone.
After purchase you’ll receive an email with a link to activate your M-Pass and select your travel dates. The email will come from our partner ACP Rail International (sender: [email protected])
Your travel dates must be:
- UK residents: within three months of the purchase date
- International visitors: within 11 months of the purchase date
Activate your pass when your travel dates are confirmed. You cannot make changes or get a refund after activation.
Once you’ve activated your M-Pass, you’ll receive another email with the pass attached as a PDF file.
Before you travel download this M-Pass directly to your mobile phone.
You will need to show the M-Pass on your phone to station and on-train staff on request. Printouts are not accepted. You must also show valid photo ID.
For flexi-day passes such as Spirit of Scotland (e.g. four travel days out of eight consecutive days), you must download a separate PDF for each day you travel.
- The M-Pass is non-refundable once you've clicked "Activate" on the activation website
- You can apply for a refund, subject to a £10 administration fee, for each unused (unactivated) M-Pass cancelled before the expiry date
- To apply for a refund contact ACP Rail International at [email protected] and quote your transaction ID number (PNR)
There are two options to choose from:
- Get four days unlimited travel over eight consecutive days
- Or travel for eight out of 15 consecutive days
You can visit stunning destinations all around Scotland with unlimited train travel, and journeys by coach, bus and ferry.
Check out our Explore Scotland pages for inspiration, including:
With a Spirit of Scotland Travelpass you get:
- Unlimited train travel in Scotland to/from Carlisle and Berwick-upon-Tweed with ScotRail, Virgin, Cross Country, East Coast and First TransPennine Express
- Unlimited travel on the Glasgow Subway
- 10% discount on standard fares with the Strathspey Steam Railway
- 10% off Keith & Dufftown Railway standard fares
- £1 off standard fares with Bo'ness and Kinneil Railway (excludes Thomas Days Out)
- Travel on the following routes with Scottish Citylink* and West Coast Motors:
- Oban/Fort William - Inverness
- Oban - Campbeltown
- Kyle of Lochalsh - Uig
- Inverness - Ullapool
*Book your Scottish Citylink journey in advance on 0871 266 3333 (24 hours). There's a £1.50 reservation fee.
Calls cost 12p/minute from BT landlines plus network extras. Charges from other providers or mobiles may vary.
- Travel with Stagecoach East Scotland and Stagecoach in the Highlands on the following routes:
- Dundee/Leuchars - St Andrews
- Services on the Isle of Skye
- Wick - John O'Groats
- Thurso - John O'Groats
- Thurso - Scrabster
- Travel with West Coast Motors/Borders Buses on the following routes:
- Melrose - Galashiels - Peebles - Edinburgh
- Carlisle - Langholm - Hawick - Galashiels - Edinburgh
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with City Sightseeing Glasgow
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with The Edinburgh Bus Tour
- £1 off adult and concession tickets with City Sightseeing Inverness
- Travel free with Caledonian MacBrayne on all ferry routes in Scotland
- Travel between Gourock and Dunoon with Argyll Ferries
- Get 20% off these Northlink Ferries journeys when Seated Standard tickets are purchased on the day of travel:
- Scrabster - Stromness
- Aberdeen - Lerwick
- Aberdeen - Kirkwall - Lerwick
- 20% discount on standard fares with Sweeney Cruises (Loch Lomond)
- 10% discount on standard fares with Jacobite Cruises (Loch Ness)
- From the ticket office at any staffed station
- By phone on 0344 811 0141
- Online, as an M-Pass mobile ticket
You can travel anytime over the weekend, and from Monday to Friday you can travel on trains departing after 09.15.
There are no restrictions on the following routes:
- Glasgow Queen Street - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig
- Inverness - Kyle/Wick/Thurso
- Direct services from Lockerbie to Carlisle, Carstairs, Motherwell or Glasgow Central
No, there's no need to book in advance.
No, not at all.
No, Travel passes are flexible so you don't need a reservation.
Standard National Railcard discounts apply to full-priced travel passes (EXCEPT the Glasgow or Edinburgh Days Out travel pass).
National Railcards include: 16-25, Disabled Persons Railcard, Family & Friends, HM Forces, Senior and Two Together Railcards.
Yes, there's a 50% discount for children aged 5-15 and under 5's travel free.
With the Glasgow or Edinburgh Days Out travel passes, family tickets (two adults and two children) are also available.
No, you can't upgrade to First Class on any of our travel passes.
Yes, you can get a refund, subject to a £10 administration fee, for each unused ticket given back to us before the date of travel.
Yes, you have unlimited travel, but you can't change the travel validity period of travel passes.
Yes, you have the freedom to break up your journey as long as your travel pass is still valid.