Big savings on little adventures.
Keeping the little ones entertained doesn't need to break the bank. With our Kids for a Quid ticket up to four children can travel off-peak for just £1 return each with an adult. Available every day, all year round, making exploring with the family great value for money.
Kids for a Quid tickets are available with most adult tickets, including ScotRail Advance single tickets, Season Tickets or Flexipasses. Buy your ticket from the booking office or on the train.
- Just £1 for each child’s ticket, valid for up to four children
- Valid for use alongside ScotRail Singles, Returns, Season Tickets and Flexipass products
- No need to book in advance — buy your Kids for a Quid ticket at the station ticket office, or when this isn't available, on the train.
- Available for off-peak travel and weekends all year-round, including school holidays
- Free entry for one child at top attractions
What you need to know
- You can’t break your journey, unless you have to make a connection to reach your destination station.
- Available to buy at station ticket offices. Only when this isn't available can the ticket be purchased on the train.
- Valid for standard class travel.
- Kids for a Quid is not valid on CrossCountry services.
- Kids for a Quid is not valid on services to and from Lockerbie or Reston.
- Kids for a Quid is not valid with LNER Advance single tickets.
- Refunds or changes to tickets are not available with Kids for a Quid.
- Children can't travel alone with a Kids for a Quid ticket.
- Not valid with tourism/rover products.
Need some inspiration for your next family day out?
We've pulled together some great ideas for places to enjoy as a family using your Kids for a Quid tickets.
How to buy your ticket
- At any ScotRail ticket office
- When a ticket office isn't available, it can be purchased on the train
Please note: Kids for a Quid doesn't have to be purchased at the same time as an adult ticket. If you have purchased your ticket online or from a ticket vending machine, you can still add Kids for a Quid at a ScotRail ticket office. Only when a ticket office isn't available can the Kids for a Quid ticket be purchased on the train.
Off-peak only. Generally, this means after 9.15 on weekdays and any time at the weekend.
Children travel for £1 return each.
You can take up to four children aged 5 to 15 when they travel with an adult. When you buy a ticket, you have to specify how many children will travel with you and you will be charged £1 per child per return journey. You don’t need to include children under age five, they travel for free on all ScotRail services.
Use it on
All ScotRail trains.
- Journeys on CrossCountry services
- Services to and from Lockerbie, and between Edinburgh and Dunbar
- LNER Advance single tickets
Buy a day return ticket if you’re coming back on the same day. An open return lets you come back on any day within one month.
Kids for a Quid can also be used in conjunction with Singles, Season Tickets, Flexipass and Club 50 discounted tickets.
Buying your ticket
Just buy a Kids for a Quid ticket at the ticket office and go. Not valid with tourism/rover products.
There’s no need to reserve a seat on any ScotRail service. If you want to reserve a seat for longer journeys you can do this up to 12 weeks before you travel.
First class upgrade
The adult travelling with the child can use Railcard discounts for their ticket. However, there is no further discount for the Kids for a Quid ticket.
Kids Visit Free deals
From Edinburgh Zoo to RRS Discovery... Check out the incredible places you can visit and enjoy great value days out, all year round.
Get one free child entry to some of Scotland’s most popular attractions when you travel with a Kids for a Quid ticket and buy a standard entry, full price adult ticket.
Not valid for special events or in conjunction with any other offer or promotion. Attraction T&Cs may apply.