Plan your cycle rail journey
Plan your cycle and rail journey with PlusBike.
National Rail's PlusBike service provides tailored information on your journey or by station. It covers everything from:
- Cycle facilities at stations and the number of cycle parking spaces
- Cycle hire at stations or nearby with links to their websites
- Cycle carriage rules, including taking bikes on the trains specific to your journey
- And whether you need to reserve a cycle space on board
Keep the bike safe while you’re out and about. The British Transport Police have some simple ideas to make life extremely difficult for thieves:
Hire a bike quickly and simply from 12 of our stations with Bike & Go. Set up your membership, pick up the key and you’re good to go. Find out more about Bike & Go
We've also partnered with cycle hire companies in Mallaig, Blair Atholl, Inverness, Oban and Fort William to bring you great discounts. Just show your ScotRail ticket in the cycle hire shop.
Hire a bike for £7 per hour (£20 per day) from Mallaig Pool and Leisure Centre. All you need is a valid return rail ticket.
Book direct with Mallaig Pool and Leisure Centre on 01687 462229 or email [email protected]
For more information visit www.mallaigleisure.org.uk
Offer valid until 31 October 2018.
Explore the stunning landscapes around Blair Atholl by bike. Find Blair Atholl Bike Hire within the 'Food in the Park' cafe behind the museum.
Here’s how to get your 10% discount on a full or half-day hire:
- Call ahead on 01796 481500 to check availability
- Show your valid rail ticket when you get there
For more information call 01796 481500 or visit www.blairathollbikehire.co.uk
Terms & conditions
- Call the Blair Atholl Bike Hire contact number, 01796 481500, at least one hour before the commencement of the hire to register and check availability of cycles
- To obtain the 10% discount you must show a valid rail ticket to the Blair Atholl Bike Hire staff
- All hire arrangements will be between you and Blair Atholl Bike Hire
- Payment for the hire is made directly to Blair Atholl Bike Hire
- Blair Atholl Bike Hire will provide all the extra kit, like a cycle helmet, basic accessories such as puncture repair kit, pump etc, and contact details in case of breakdown
- Blair Atholl Bike Hire is responsible for the condition of the equipment supplied
Get 10% off cycle hire at Ticket to Ride, or 15% off with a Spirit of Scotland travel pass. All you need is a valid rail ticket.
Ticket to Ride will even meet you at the train station, with the bike. There’s no charge for this at Dingwall, Elgin and Aviemore. What's more, if you travel from Inverness to Fort William, you can leave the bike with Nevis Cycles in Fort William. Handy!
Call Ticket to Ride on 01463 419160, giving at least four hours notice and hold on to your rail ticket to get your discount.
For more information and full terms and conditions of cycle hire, visit www.tickettoridehighlands.co.uk
Get 10% off at Nevis Cycles with a valid rail ticket, or 15% off with a Spirit of Scotland travel pass. Cycling to Inverness? Drop the bike off at Ticket to Ride, at no extra charge.
Nevis Cycles is located close to Fort William station - just show your valid rail ticket or Spirit of Scotland travel pass to claim your discount.
For more information call 01397 705555 or visit www.neviscycles.com
ScotRail Cycle Rescue
Had a major mechanical breakdown and can’t fix it? Call us on 08000 717 212 and we’ll rescue you – taking you and your bike to your destination for the day or the nearest train station.
What’s the catch? It must be part of a trip that includes the train already – so you’ve got to have a valid train ticket. And you’ll need to be within a day’s ride of the nearest ScotRail station.
If you’ve missed the last train because of your breakdown, we’ll take you and the bike to the nearest Scottish town or city where you may be able to repair your bike, and stay somewhere overnight.
Call our freephone helpline on 08000 717 212 to get help and advice, making sure you have your valid ticket to hand.
ScotRail Cycle Rescue applies if you have a valid rail ticket for journeys to or from stations in Scotland. This is for breakdowns that occur on the roads of mainland Scotland within a day's cycle ride of any station for which your ticket is valid.
You must comply with the following terms and conditions to be eligible for assistance:
- Your pedal cycle must be reasonably maintained, fit for its intended use, and in a safe and roadworthy condition at the start of your journey
- You must take reasonable steps to repair your pedal cycle yourself following a breakdown
- If you have a right of action against a third party you must co-operate with ETA (our bicycle and travel insurance partner) to recover any costs incurred by ETA
ScotRail and ETA will not be liable for:
- Any incident occurring outside the period of cover, which shall be deemed as the period of validity of your rail ticket
- Any incident within a mile, by public highway, from your residence
- Any incident where the pedal cycle is being used for a use not specified in the design and manufacturer's specifications, or arising directly out of the unreasonable use of the pedal cycle on unsuitable terrain
- Breakdowns where the pedal cycle is not accessible or cannot be transported safely, legally and without hindrance using a standard transporter or trailer, including immersion in mud, sand, snow or water
- Breakdowns while the pedal cycle is being used or has been used for racing, trials or rallies, speed or endurance tests or practices for those activities
- Any consequential loss arising from any act performed in the execution of the assistance services provided
- Call out charges the police may charge
- Ferry charges and tolls
- The cost of parts, components, lubricants or materials, food, drinks, telephone calls, petrol, oil, or insurance for a hire vehicle or other incidental expenses
- Any costs other than recovery to one of the destinations detailed above
- The charges of any company or person other than the recovery agent called out by ETA
- Any charges arising from your failure to comply with the reasonable requests of ETA or its agents concerning the assistance being provided to you
- Any charges where, having contacted ETA, you effect recovery or repair by other means
- Cover is limited to one puncture per person per year and we recommend that you carry a puncture repair kit as it can normally avoid the need for a call out
- There is no cover for failure of lights where this is due to discharged batteries, and you should ensure you carry spare batteries for your lights
- Medical and other expenses arising out of injury sustained by you, except where such injuries are due to the negligence, actions or other fault of ScotRail or ETA
- Liability for any loss or damage to property (including cycles) in excess of £1,000 is excluded