Luxury you can get onboard with.
Travel in extra comfort with a seat in our first-class carriages, available on board eXpress services between Edinburgh and Glasgow and intercity services, connecting Scotland's seven cities. Enjoy plenty more legroom and larger seats.
You can buy First Class tickets online before you travel, or upgrade at ticket offices or onboard.
To upgrade onboard, please speak to the train’s conductor who will be happy to help.
On board upgrade prices
Edinburgh – Glasgow eXpress services for £5 each way
Intercity services for £15 each way
- Extra space and comfort
- Plug sockets at every seat
- A blind for those sunny days, or when you'd rather block out the Scottish weather
What you need to know
- Available on a range of routes across our network
- Some restrictions may apply. See all the facts below.
- Refunds are not available
How to buy
- Via the ScotRail app
- From ticket offices at staffed stations
- From ticket vending machines
- Upgrades available on some routes, both on-train and from ticket offices
Use it on
Any ScotRail routes with First Class accommodation. First Class Anytime Day tickets are only available on Edinburgh to Glasgow routes with First Class accommodation.
When it's valid
- With a First Class Anytime Single, outward travel is valid for two days from the date shown on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Return, outward travel is valid for five days from the date shown on your outward ticket, and return travel must be made within one month from the date on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Day, outward and return travel must be made on the date shown on the ticket.
- On board upgrade is valid for that service only.
Our First Class areas don't have wheelchair accommodation or wheelchair access to accessible toilets. To travel in First Class, wheelchair users would need to be able to transfer to a seat.
You don't need to reserve a seat, but reservations are available on some longer distance services.
Standard Railcard discounts apply when purchasing a First Class ticket for Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders. Railcard discounts do not apply if upgrading on board.
There are no child discounts.
Refunds are not available.
Changes to your travel plans
Travel plans cannot be changed.
Breaking your journey
Journeys cannot be broken at stations along the route of travel, other than for connectional purposes.