Luxury you can get onboard with.
As part of our response to COVID-19, we have decided to remove First Class tickets from sale. This will allow us to use the First Class carriages to better spread customers throughout the train and support physical distancing. Your First Class ticket remains valid for travel and you can continue to sit in the First Class carriage providing it is safe to do so.
We understand you may want to obtain a refund for your First Class ticket and buy a Standard Class ticket instead. Please visit our Refunds page for guidance and instructions.
Travel in extra comfort with a seat in our first-class carriages, available on board eXpress services between Edinburgh and Glasgow and Inter7City trains. Enjoy plenty more legroom, larger seats and free refreshments*.
For the best deals on First Class tickets, buy in Advance before you board and save up to 30%. You can also buy or upgrade to First Class at ticket offices or onboard.
If you're travelling eXpress between Edinburgh and Glasgow, it can be more affordable than you think. Upgrade your season ticket or flexi-pass to First Class for as little as £3.15 each way. Or for a treat on a day out, upgrade for £5 each way and make the journey part of the occasion.
- Extra space and comfort
- Plug sockets at every seat
- A blind for those sunny days, or when you would rather not see the Scottish weather
- Free drinks and snacks
- Fully flexible tickets options available
What you need to know
- Available on a range of routes across our network
- Some restrictions on when you can travel may apply. See all the facts below
- You can make changes or get a refund to your ticket - a £10 admin fee applies
- Refunds are not available on tickets bought or upgraded onboard
How to buy
- From ticket offices at staffed stations
- From ticket vending machines
- Upgrades available on some routes, both on-train and from ticket offices
*Free refreshments are subject to availability of catering on-board.
Use it on
Any ScotRail routes with First Class accommodation. First Class Anytime Day tickets are only available on Edinburgh to Glasgow routes with First Class accommodation.
When it's valid
- With a First Class Anytime Single, outward travel is valid for two days from the date shown on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Return, outward travel is valid for five days from the date shown on your outward ticket, and return travel must be made within one month from the date on your outward ticket.
- With a First Class Anytime Day, outward and return travel must be made on the date shown on the ticket.
You don't need to reserve a seat, but reservations are available on some longer distance services.
Our First Class areas don't have wheelchair accommodation or wheelchair access to accessible toilets. To travel in First Class, wheelchair users would need to be able to transfer to a seat.
Standard Railcard discounts apply for Senior and Disabled Persons Railcard holders.
There's a 50% discount for children aged 5-15 and under 5's travel free.
Refunds can be made on unused tickets up to 28 days after the expiry of ticket. A £10 admin fee applies.
Changes to your travel plans
You can change your travel plans before the outward journey. A £10 admin fee applies.
Breaking your journey
You can break your journey at stations along the route you're travelling.