Rail and sail
Combine train and ferry travel in one ticket.
Our Rail & Sail ticket means there’s no need to queue at the ferry ticket office, and it gives you great value travel to some incredible destinations across Scotland, and Northern Ireland.
There's no need to book in advance, unless you’re going to Belfast. Your ticket will be subject to availability based on ferry capacity.
Where to Rail & Sail
Rail & Sail to Orkney and Shetland
Discover the beauty of Orkney and Shetland. Travel from stations in Scotland to:
- Kirkwall via Aberdeen
- Kirkwall or Stromness via Thurso and Scrabster
- Lerwick (Shetland Isles) via Aberdeen
We even include taxi transfer between Thurso and Scrabster. You can book your taxi on 01847 893 434.
Rail & Sail to Mull, Skye and the Outer Hebrides
See the Munros of Skye, the eagles on Mull, or the wild and beautiful Outer Hebrides. Travel from stations in Scotland to:
- Craignure on Mull via Oban
- Castlebay on Barra via Oban
- Lochboisdale on South Uist via Oban
- Armadale on Skye via Mallaig
- Stornoway on Lewis via Inverness, and a coach from Inverness to Ullapool
Rail & Sail to the Clyde Coast
Head for an adventure on the Clyde Coast with a Rail & Sail Clyde Coast ticket. You can travel from stations in Scotland to:
- Dunoon (Cowal) via Gourock
- Rothesay (Bute) via Weymss Bay
- Brodick (Arran) via Ardrossan Harbour
Rail & Sail to Belfast
Visit Belfast with no baggage check-ins or airport transfers. Travel from any station in Scotland to Belfast via Ayr and Cairnryan.
Coach links to the Stena ferry at Cairnryan are included in your ticket price. You'll need to book in advance, and travel on the date shown on your ticket. You can’t take pets with you, and travel is subject to availability based on ferry capacity.
You can buy Rail & Sail tickets from:
- The ticket office at a staffed station
- By phone on 0344 811 0141
- On-train when boarding at a station where no booking facilities are available
- Online to Belfast and the Clyde Coast (Rothesay, Brodick and Dunoon)
- One ticket for train and ferry means less hassle, and more adventure
- Travel to Orkney, Shetland, Mull, the Outer Hebrides, Clyde coast and Belfast
- No need to book in advance, but your ticket will be subject to availability based on ferry capacity
- Available on all operators
- Hop on-hop off as much as you like
- Only valid for Standard Class
- Free travel for under 5s, and half price for children aged 5-15
- There’s a £10 admin fee for changes or refunds
- Railcards don't apply, except for Belfast, where you can use Senior and 16-25 Railcards