The early bird catches the train. Cheap-cheap!
Book your Advance Single ticket 12 weeks before travel to enjoy the best savings. Save even more if you use a railcard. Travel on a range of services, seven days a week, on selected routes.
Thousands of extra Advance tickets from just £5 have been added for travel between 7 October and 8 November. Find out more here.
- Up to 65% savings on standard ticket prices
- Save more if you have a railcard
- Available on a range of services seven days a week
- You can also save up to 30% on First Class travel when you book Advance
What you need to know
- Valid only on the train journey shown on your ticket
- Availability is limited so book your tickets as early as you can
- Single tickets only, returns tickets aren’t available
- You can’t make changes to, or get a refund for, this ticket
Where you can travel
You can only use Advance Single tickets on ScotRail services between:
- Aberdeen and Edinburgh
- Aberdeen and Glasgow
- Aberdeen and Inverness
- Edinburgh and Inverness
- Glasgow and Fort William
- Glasgow and Inverness
- Glasgow and Mallaig
- Glasgow and Oban
- Inverness and Kyle of Lochalsh
- Inverness and Wick
How to buy your ticket
- At any ScotRail ticket office
- By phone — call 0344 811 0141
When to buy
You can buy an Advance Single ticket up to 12 weeks before the date you plan to travel. Book as early as possible to get the biggest savings. If you have a railcard, you’ll be able to save even more.
There’s a limit to the number of Advance Single tickets available on each service. Once all those tickets have been sold we won’t make any more available for that route, day and time.
Changes and refunds
Your ticket is valid only on the train journey shown on your ticket. Tickets are not transferable and you won’t get a refund if you can’t use your ticket.
There’s no seat reservation with our lowest priced Advance fare tickets.
- Over the phone on 0344 811 0141
- From a ticket office at a staffed station
- Or from Rail Appointed Travel Agents
- With an Advance Single you can travel on a range of services seven days a week
- Your Advance Single is only valid on the train journey shown on your ticket
- Advance Single tickets are sold on a single, one way journey basis. For your return, simply purchase another single ticket
The number of new Advance Single tickets available to buy will vary depending on each route, time, day of the week, and month.
The lowest priced fares are available from 12 weeks before train departure date. The further in advance you book, the more likely the fare will be available. The discount from a walk-up fare will decrease the closer to departure the train is booked.
Advance Single tickets are valid on ScotRail services only, for Standard Class travel on a range of longer distance routes and services:
- Glasgow – Aberdeen
- Edinburgh – Aberdeen
- Inverness – Aberdeen
- Glasgow – Oban
- Glasgow – Fort William
- Glasgow – Mallaig
- Inverness – Wick/Kyle
- Glasgow – Inverness
- Edinburgh – Inverness
Should you look far in advance and £5 fares are unavailable, the next pricing tier may be available. This will depend on how busy the train is.
You won't be able to reserve a seat with our new lowest price Advance fares. However, you are free to sit in any available non-reserved seats.
You will get a seat reservation with other Advance tickets.
Yes, all Standard National Railcard discounts apply.
Yes, if you’re a Club 50 member you can use your member discount on Advance tickets.
To buy online, click on 'Buy Tickets' in the main menu above, enter your journey details and select 'CLUB 50 WEB - SCOTRAIL' from the list of Railcards. If you have selected an eligible journey, the prices shown will include the 20% Club 50 discount.
Yes, you can get a 50% discount for children aged 5-15, and under 5's travel free.
Our £5 Advance Single fares are for Standard Class travel only and cannot be upgraded to First Class.
However, we also have £10 Advance Single First Class fares, and our other Advance Single fares can be upgraded to First Class.
No. ScotRail First Class Advance tickets don't give you access to First Class lounges in our stations.
No, refunds aren’t available.
With Advance singles you can change your travel plans before the outward journey. You'll have to pay any difference in fare and a £10 administration fee for each ticket.
Visit any booking office, call the telesales outlet or visit the website that you bought your ticket from.
- Changes to time or date of travel must be arranged before departure of the first reserved train printed on the ticket, after which the ticket has no value and a new one must be purchased. You will need to present the ticket(s) and reservation(s) when you request a change
- Changes to tickets cannot be made on-board the train. If you board a train without a ticket and reservation for that service, you must buy a new ticket
- The origin, destination and Train Company or route shown on the ticket(s) must remain the same
- The difference between the price paid and cost of the next suitable fare for your journey is payable, plus the £10 administration fee per person, per single ticket for each change to a journey. You won't get a refund if you change to a train on which a cheaper fare is available
- You will need to present your original ticket(s) and reservation(s) as well as the new ones when you travel
No, you can't break up your journey unless it's for connectional purposes.