Our Delay Repay guarantee
Delayed for more than half an hour? Get some or all of your money back.
If you're travelling on one of our trains and your journey is delayed by 30 minutes or more, we'll give you compensation. And if you’ve missed a connection because of a delay on a ScotRail train, you can claim for that too. Just make sure you make the claim within 28 days of the delay.
It’s easy to claim, and you can choose from a range of repayment options – including PayPal and Cash Vouchers.
Under the Consumer Rights Act, you may be able to claim extra compensation if the delay to your train means you incur additional costs. We look at each claim on a case-by-case basis. For information regarding your rights, when you are travelling as a consumer, including under the Consumer Rights Act 2015, please see www.gov.uk/consumer-protection-rights
How much money you get back depends on how much your ticket cost and how long the delay is.
Here's what you’ll get:
|Length of delay||Compensation|
|30 to 59 minutes||50% of the cost of your single ticket or 25% of the cost of your return ticket|
|1 hour to 1 hour 59 minutes||The full cost of your single ticket or 50% of the cost of your return ticket|
|2 hours or more||The cost of your single or return ticket|
You can use the vouchers to buy tickets for rail journeys across Great Britain – and they’re valid for 12 months.
Prefer cash? Exchange your vouchers at any ScotRail ticket office within 28 days of the voucher issue date.
You can make a claim online or by post. You’ll need to provide details of your Smartcard or provide a copy of your paper ticket:
- Your Smartcard number (shown on the back of your card)
- Your original ticket
- A ticket receipt, if you no longer have your ticket
- A scan or photograph of your season ticket and photocard
- Pick up a claim form from our staffed stations
- Or download and print a Delay Repay claim form
Send your printed claim form and ticket to:
ScotRail Customer Relations
PO Box 27129
GLASGOW G2 9LH
We must receive your claim within 28 days of the delay.
There are a couple.
- We don't normally accept a claim if you were told about the delay before you bought your ticket
- If we've introduced a temporary timetable, our Delay Repay guarantee will be based on that temporary timetable