Free ScotRail app
Get live journey updates and buy tickets on your phone – in just a couple of taps.
The ScotRail app keeps you updated when you’re on the move, with notifications on live journey information, as well as the option to get alerts by email and text.
You can also buy Anytime and Off-Peak single and return, and Advance single tickets in-app. Collect paper tickets from a ticket machine just ten minutes later. Buy Smart tickets at least four hours before you travel.
There are loads of other useful features too:
- Save your recent searches to favourites – just click the star
- See the status of the ScotRail network and details of any disruption
- View all ticket purchases through My ScotRail
- Load ScotRail Smart tickets and products onto your Smartcard (NFC-enabled Android phones only)
- Contact us or report crime on the railway from the menu
- Sign up to text and email alerts
The app is free, with no booking charges or credit card fees for buying tickets. Download it from your app store to get started.
Download the app
Seen something good? Seen something bad? Tell us with Snapp it!
Snapp it! makes it quick and easy to tell us about your journey – from maintenance jobs that need done to how helpful our staff have been. Download it from your app store and start sharing and viewing reports – and tracking our progress in fixing any issues.
You’ll get app badges for any fixed issues or confirmed good deeds you report, so ScotRail, users and other businesses will know the difference you’ve been making to our network.
Visit your app store on your phone and search 'ScotRail'.
You can download the app for iOS and Android.
Get the most out of your ScotRail app with these useful features.
See the status of the ScotRail network and get disruption information on the homescreen.
- Plan your journey with live timetable information
- Buy train tickets and collect from a ScotRail ticket machine ten minutes later
- Buy Club 50 discounted tickets: just select CLUB 50 WEB - SCOTRAIL from the list of railcards
- View all ticket purchases via your My ScotRail account
- Check departure times and platforms, and see where your train is in real time
- See disruption information for your selected route within Live Departures
- Save your recent searches to favourites when you click the star
- Swipe left on recent searches and favourites to access Plan & Buy, Live Departures, and to delete
- Shortcut bar across the bottom of the screen with links to Homescreen, Plan & Buy, Live Departures, My ScotRail
- Click the ‘+’ button to access the Homescreen, Plan & Buy, Live Departures, My ScotRail
Between approx 35-106 MB
By credit or debit card. Payment processing is handled in the same way as ScotRail's website purchases, so any card you use on the site can also be used in the app.
You can currently buy Anytime and Off-Peak singles and returns, and Super Off-Peak day return tickets for Smartcard on the ScotRail app.
Click ‘Plan & Buy’ and enter your journey details. You’ll see the Smartcard delivery option if you’re buying tickets at least four hours before you travel.
You can buy all ScotRail Smart tickets (Advance*, Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Flexipass and Season Tickets) from your mobile via our desktop ticket booking sites here:
Allow four hours from buying your ticket before loading it onto your Smartcard.
*Advance single tickets are available on Smartcard only when you buy with the Under 25 Advance Railcard
You can now load ScotRail Smart tickets onto ScotRail and SPT Subway Smartcards using an NFC-enabled Android phone and the latest version of the ScotRail app.
You can also load Club 50 memberships, Highland and Under 25 Advance Railcards.
There are three simple steps:
- Open the ScotRail app and tap the ‘+’ button – select ‘Smartcard’ from the pop-up menu
- Hold your Smartcard against the NFC zone on your phone – if NFC is off, you’ll be prompted to switch it on
- Tap the ‘Check for new tickets/products’ button – you’ll need an internet connection when you do this
Any new Smartcard purchases will appear on screen and are now ready to use.
If NFC is switched on, you can also launch the ScotRail app by holding your Smartcard against the NFC zone on your phone.
NFC (Near-Field Communication) lets two electronic devices communicate when they are close to each other – in this instance your phone and your Smartcard. Most new Android smartphones have the technology built in.
You can collect all ScotRail Smart tickets, plus new and renewed Club 50 membership, Highland and Under 25 Advance Railcards.
NFC-enabled Android phones only.
You can currently load Smart tickets onto ScotRail and SPT Subway Smartcards using the ScotRail app.
We plan to extend the functionality to other card types in the future.
NFC-enabled Android phones only.
Here are a few things to check:
- Have you got an NFC-enabled Android phone?
Most new Android smartphones have NFC technology built in. The Smartcard functionality doesn’t work on Android phones without NFC, or on iPhones/iPads
- Do you have the latest version of the ScotRail app?
Open your App Store and check for updates
- Is NFC switched on?
You should be prompted to switch on NFC when you hold your Smartcard against the phone – or check in the phone settings
- Are you holding your Smartcard to the NFC zone on your phone?
The NFC zone is the part of your phone where the NFC chip is located. It’s usually the back cover of your phone, but it could also be the screen. Try holding your Smartcard flat against the back of your phone first
- Is your phone in a case?
Remove the case and try again
- It's still not working, what else can you do?
NFC technology is relatively new and quality can vary depending upon the manufacturer and even the device type
The ScotRail app is designed to open when you hold a Smartcard against the NFC zone. To stop this from happening inadvertently:
- Store Smartcards away from your phone
- Switch off NFC when you’re not using it
Contact our Smartcard team on 0344 811 0141.
You can sign in with your My ScotRail account details, or use our guest checkout to buy tickets without a My ScotRail account.
Our mobile ticket booking site is under continual development.
You can currently buy Advance single, Anytime and Off-Peak singles and returns, and Super Off-Peak day return tickets from the ScotRail website on a mobile device and from the free ScotRail app. Click ‘Plan & Buy’ from the app or ‘Buy Tickets’ on the mobile site.
We’ll be introducing more ticket types to the ScotRail app and mobile site in the future.
You can buy all ScotRail tickets (including Advance, Anytime, Off-Peak, Super Off-Peak, Kids Go Free, Flexipass and Season Tickets) from your mobile via our desktop ticket booking sites here:
Absolutely. The app uses the latest FIPS 140-2 recommended key strengths and algorithms for secure e-commerce, just like the very latest web browsers.
iOS and Android.
Yes. You can either sign in with your ScotRail account details or register separately with the app, and then set up your user profile. You can see the reports you’ve made on your profile.
Yes, the app uses your location to show you the relevant feed. If you’re not near a station it will show you the last feed you viewed.
Abellio ScotRail Limited operates the ScotRail Snapp it mobile app (“Snapp it”). By using Snapp it in any way, you accept these Terms of Service (“Agreement”). If you do not wish to be bound by this Agreement, do not use Snapp it.
- Who May Use Snapp it
- License to Use Snapp it
- Term and Termination; Account Deletion
- Disclaimers; Limitation of Liability
- Code of Conduct; Prohibited Activities
- Content Restrictions
- Licenses Granted by You
- Your Representations and Warranties
- Intellectual Property
- General Provisions
1. Who May Use Snapp it
You must be at least 16 years old to use Snapp it. Use is void where prohibited. By using Snapp it, you represent and warrant that you have the right, authority and capacity to enter into this Agreement and to abide by all of the terms and conditions of this Agreement.
2. License to Use Snapp it
Snapp it grants you a limited, non-exclusive license to access and use Snapp it for your own personal, non-commercial purposes. This license is personal to you and may not be assigned or sublicensed to anyone else. Except as expressly permitted by Abellio ScotRail Limited in writing, you will not reproduce, redistribute, sell, create derivative works from, decompile, reverse engineer, or disassemble Snapp it. Nor will you take any measures to interfere with or damage Snapp it. All rights not expressly granted by Abellio ScotRail Limited are reserved.
- What information we may collect about you
- What we use that information for
- What third-party information, if any, you are agreeing to share by using Snapp it; and
- With whom we share that information
To use Snapp it, you must already hold or register for an online account with Abellio ScotRail Limited.
You shall not:
- Create any account for anyone other than yourself without such person's permission;
- Use a name that is the name of another person with the intent to impersonate that person;
- Use a name or Abellio ScotRail Limited account that is subject to any rights of a person other than you without appropriate authorisation; or
- Use a name that is a name that is otherwise offensive, vulgar or obscene or otherwise unlawful.
Please take precautions to protect your password and contact us at [email protected] if you believe your account has been accessed by an unauthorised person.
5. Term and Termination; Account Deletion
This Agreement begins on the date you first use Snapp it and continues until terminated in accordance with the provisions hereof.
Abellio ScotRail Limited may suspend, disable, or delete your account (or any part thereof) if Abellio ScotRail Limited determines that you have violated any provision of this Agreement or that your conduct or content would tend to damage Abellio ScotRail Limited reputation or goodwill. If Abellio ScotRail Limited deletes your account for the foregoing reasons, you may not re-register under a different name.
Upon termination, all licenses granted by Abellio ScotRail Limited will terminate. In the event of account deletion for any reason, content that you submitted may no longer be available. Abellio ScotRail Limited shall not be responsible for the loss of such content.
6. Disclaimers; Limitation of Liability
In no event shall Abellio ScotRail Limited be liable for any damages whatsoever, whether direct, indirect, general, special, exemplary, compensatory, consequential, and/or incidental, arising out of or relating to the conduct of you or anyone else in connection with the use of the service, including without limitation, bodily injury, death, emotional distress and/or any other damages resulting from communications with other users of the Snapp it service.
Abellio ScotRail Limited reserves the right to modify Snapp it. You are responsible for providing your own access to Snapp it. Abellio ScotRail Limited has no obligation to screen or monitor any content and does not guarantee that any content available on Snapp it complies with this Agreement or is suitable for all users.
Abellio ScotRail Limited provides Snapp it on an “as is” and “as available” basis. You therefore use Snapp it at your own risk. Abellio ScotRail Limited expressly disclaims any and all warranties of any kind, whether express or implied, including, but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non-infringement, and any other warranty that might arise under any law. Without limiting the foregoing, Abellio ScotRail Limited makes no representations or warranties:
- That Snapp it will be permitted in your jurisdiction;
- That Snapp it will be uninterrupted or error-free;
- Concerning any content submitted by any user;
- Concerning any third party’s use of content that you submit;
- That any content you submit will be made available on Snapp it or will be stored by Abellio ScotRail Limited;
- That Abellio ScotRail Limited will continue to support any particular feature of Snapp it;
- Concerning sites and resources outside of Snapp it, even if linked to from Snapp it.
7. Code of Conduct; Prohibited Activities
In using Snapp it, you must behave in a civil and respectful manner at all times. In particular, you will not:
- Harass or stalk any other person;
- Act in a deceptive manner by, among other things, submitting fictitious information;
- Collect information about others;
- Express or imply that any statements you make are endorsed by Abellio ScotRail Limited without our specific prior written consent;
- Distribute spam, and will not use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other manual or automatic device or process to retrieve, index, “data mine”, or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Service or its contents;
- Post, distribute or reproduce in any way any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information without obtaining the prior consent of the owner of such proprietary rights;
- Interfere with or disrupt the services or the site or the servers or networks connected to the services or the site;
- Post, email or otherwise transmit any material that contains software viruses or any other computer code, files or programs designed to interrupt, destroy or limit the functionality of any computer software or hardware or telecommunications equipment.
Abellio ScotRail Limited has the right, but not the obligation, to monitor all conduct on and content submitted to Snapp it.
8. Content Restrictions
You are solely responsible for the content that you publish or display (hereinafter, “post”) on the Service. You will not post on the service any defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, obscene, profane, offensive, sexually oriented, threatening, harassing, racially offensive, or ill material, or any material that infringes or violates another party’s rights (including, but not limited to, material showing persons working or using the railway without their express permission, intellectual property rights, and rights of privacy and publicity). You will not provide inaccurate, misleading or false information to Abellio ScotRail Limited. If information provided to Abellio ScotRail Limited subsequently becomes inaccurate, misleading or false, you will promptly notify us of such change. In particular, you may not upload, post, or transmit (collectively, “submit”) an information which:
- Is patently offensive to the online community, such as content that promotes racism, bigotry, hatred or physical harm of any kind against any group or individual;
- Harasses or advocates harassment of another person;
- Promotes information that is false, misleading or promotes illegal activities or conduct that is abusive, threatening, obscene, defamatory or libellous;
- Provides material that exploits people under the age of 18 in a sexual or violent manner, or solicits personal information from anyone under the age of 18;
- Contains sexually explicit content;
- Provides instructional information about illegal activities such as making or buying illegal weapons, violating someone’s privacy, or providing or creating computer viruses;
- Involves the transmission of “junk mail”, “chain letters,” or unsolicited mass mailing or “spamming”;
- Promotes an illegal or unauthorized copy of another person’s copyrighted work, such as providing pirated computer programs or links to them, providing information to circumvent manufacture-installed copy-protect devices, or providing pirated images, audio or video, or links to pirated images, audio or video files;
- Solicits passwords or personal identifying information for commercial or unlawful purposes from other users;
- Engages in commercial activities and/or sales without our prior written consent such as contests, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, and pyramid schemes;
- Infringes any third party’s copyrights or other rights (e.g. trademark, privacy rights, etc.).
Your use of the Service, including but not limited to the content you post on the service, must be in accordance with any and all applicable laws and regulations.
9. Licenses Granted by You
You grant Abellio ScotRail Limited and its affiliates a worldwide, perpetual, irrevocable, non-exclusive, royalty-free license and right to copy, transmit, distribute, publicly perform and display (through all media now known or hereafter created), and make derivative works from your content. In addition, you waive any so-called “moral rights” in your content. If you make suggestions to Abellio ScotRail Limited on improving or adding new features to Snapp it, Abellio ScotRail Limited shall have the right to use your suggestions without any compensation to you.
10. Your Representations and Warranties
For each piece of content that you submit, you represent and warrant that: (i) you have the right to submit the content to Abellio ScotRail Limited and grant the licenses set forth above; (ii) Abellio ScotRail Limited will not need to obtain licenses from any third party or pay royalties to any third party; (iii) the content does not infringe any third party’s rights, including intellectual property rights and privacy rights; and (iv) the content complies with this Agreement and all applicable laws.
You will indemnify, defend, and hold harmless Abellio ScotRail Limited and its affiliates, directors, officers, employees, and agents, from and against all third party actions that: (i) arise from your activities on Snapp it; (ii) assert a violation by you of any term of this Agreement; or (iii) assert that any content you submitted to Snapp it violates any law or infringes any third party right, including any intellectual property or privacy right.
12. Intellectual Property
Abellio ScotRail Limited respects the intellectual property of others, and we ask our users to do the same. Each user is responsible for ensuring that the materials they upload to Snapp it do not infringe any third party intellectual property rights (including, without limitation, copyright, trademarks, etc.).
Abellio ScotRail Limited reserves the right to remove materials in accordance with applicable legislation relating to the protection of intellectual property if properly notified that the materials infringe a third party’s intellectual property rights. In addition, Abellio ScotRail Limited may, in appropriate circumstances, terminate the accounts of intellectual property infringers.
If you believe that any work which is protected by intellectual property rights and which you have uploaded to Snapp it has been infringed please email Abellio ScotRail Limited about this:
You may send any complaints to:
Email: [email protected]
13. General Provisions
GOVERNING LAW: This Agreement shall be governed by relevant UK laws.
Any legal action arising out of or relating to this Agreement or your use of Snapp it will be subject to the jurisdiction of the courts of the England and Wales.
INTERPRETATION; SEVERABILITY; WAIVER; REMEDIES:
Headings are for convenience only and shall not be used to construe the terms of this Agreement. If any term of this Agreement is found invalid or unenforceable by any court of competent jurisdiction, that term will be severed from this Agreement. No failure or delay by Abellio ScotRail Limited in exercising any right hereunder will waive any further exercise of that right. Abellio ScotRail Limited’s rights and remedies hereunder are cumulative and not exclusive.
SUCCESSORS; ASSIGNMENT; NO THIRD PARTY BENEFICIARIES:
This Agreement is binding upon and shall inure to the benefit of both parties and their respective successors, heirs, executors, administrators, personal representatives, and permitted assigns. You may not assign this Agreement without Abellio ScotRail Limited’s prior written consent. No third party shall have any rights hereunder.
You consent to receive all communications including notices, agreements, disclosures, or other information from Abellio ScotRail Limited electronically. Abellio ScotRail Limited may provide all such communications by email or by posting them on Snapp it. Support-related inquiries or notices of a legal nature may be sent to us at [email protected]
Nothing herein shall limit Abellio ScotRail Limited’s right to object to claims, or other demands.
MODIFICATION; ENTIRE AGREEMENT:
This Agreement may not be modified except by a revised Terms of Service posted by Abellio ScotRail Limited on Snapp it or a written amendment signed by an authorized representative of Abellio ScotRail Limited. A revised Terms of Service will be effective as of the date it is posted. This Agreement constitutes the entire understanding between Abellio ScotRail Limited and you concerning the subject matter hereof and supersedes all prior agreements and understandings regarding the same.