Our new timetable will launch on Sunday 13 December, and it contains improvements for customers who travel in the south west of the country; to Lanark or Carstairs; or who use the West Highland Line.
We’ve worked hard to make sure we’re making the best use of our rolling stock so that, wherever possible, the busiest services have the most capacity.
Services in the south west have been completely overhauled to allow more opportunity for local travel between Ayr and Stranraer.
And in South Lanarkshire we’ve added late night station calls to help those in Lanark and Carstairs get home.
Some services will be extended to call at more stations and new services will be added. Others have been retimed to provide better connections for customers.
An overview of the improvements is below, but please check your specific journey on our homepage by selecting a date on or after 13 December.
Glasgow to Stranraer route
- Monday – Saturday: New hourly Ayr - Girvan service with every other train extended to Stranraer. This provides 12 trains per day to Girvan and 8 to Stranraer – compared with 10 and 6 in the current timetable.
- Two additional Ayr - Kilmarnock services Monday - Saturday, and two extra Sunday trains between Ayr - Stranraer.
- Monday – Saturday Stranraer and Girvan services will now run to Ayr, Kilmarnock, or Glasgow Central via Kilmarnock, therefore passengers for Paisley and Kilwinning should change at Ayr for a connection going north. Short connections times at Ayr mean that end to end journey times are broadly comparable.
- On Sundays, passengers travelling from Stranraer and Girvan to Glasgow Central need to change at Ayr for a service to the city.
- Trains between Ayr and Glasgow Central via Kilmarnock will no longer call at Prestwick International Airport and Prestwick Town. Passengers should change at Troon for a connection to these stations.
In order to accommodate these additional services and timetable improvements, services throughout the day have been slightly retimed. Customers should check their journey before travelling.
Lanark and Carstairs services
- Monday to Friday 23:20 Glasgow Central to Motherwell has been extended to Lanark.
- Monday to Friday 22:31 Dalmuir to Motherwell has been extended to Carstairs.
- Following feedback from customers, there will be a redistribution of carriages to where they are needed most in the morning and evening peaks.
West Highland Line
- On Sundays, the 09:56 Glasgow Queen Street to Oban and 16:11 Oban to Glasgow Queen Street will become a year-round service. Previously these ran during the summer months only.
Edinburgh to Dunblane
- Monday to Friday 05:21 Dunblane to Edinburgh now departs Dunblane earlier at 05:13 to provide a connection from Dunblane into the new Virgin Trains East Coast 05:26 Stirling to London Kings Cross.