Each autumn, thousands of tonnes of leaves fall from trees on to railway infrastructure, which can create a challenging environment.
Wet weather and passing trains can cause leaves to break down into a slippery surface on the line which results in train wheels losing grip, making it harder for them to stop quickly – similar to black ice on the roads.
We know few things frustrate customers more than when their train is delayed because of leaves on the line, but the reality is that this can lead to disruption across the network.
To help minimise the impact the weather has this autumn, we made some minor changes to our timetable on Monday, 2 October, to ensure its as resilient as possible.
Most of the alterations are minor, and only impact a very small number of services. The majority of routes retain the same schedule that's been in place since May 2023.
The changes were made following analysis of data on train punctuality and reliability, as well as trains that have the potential to cause the biggest knock-on impact across the network if they are delayed.
We’ve also been working round the clock to prepare our trains and our stations for the change in weather, while working with colleagues at Network Rail to keep rails and train wheels free of contamination caused by crushed leaves.
We've made modifications to trains across our fleet, including the fitment of new sanders to help trains grip the track during poor weather.
Specialist machinery will be used to improve train performance and reliability. The Wheel Lathes at Inverness and Shields Depot in Glasgow remove any ‘flat spots’ from wheels which can occur during poor weather conditions by trimming the surface of the wheel to remove any damage.
Throughout autumn, we’ll make sure you are kept up to date with accurate information about your journey.
Use the drop downs below to see the full list of service alterations from Monday, 2 October.
Helensburgh Central - Edinburgh Waverley
- 07:07 Edinburgh to Helensburgh Central - no longer calls at Cardross.
- 08:08 Edinburgh to Helensburgh Central - no longer calls at Cardross.
- 11:07 Edinburgh to Helensburgh Central - no longer calls at Cardross.
- 08:59 Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh - no longer calls at Dalreoch.
- 09:25 Helensburgh Central to Edinburgh - no longer calls at Dalreoch.
Edinburgh Waverley - Aberdeen
- 05:30 Edinburgh to Aberdeen - no longer calls at Ladybank.
Airdrie - Balloch
- 16:40 Airdrie to Balloch - no longer calls at Bowling.
Motherwell - Dalmuir
The following services will arrive in Dalmuir four minutes later unless stated otherwise.
- 05:56 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 06:24 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 08:17 Motherwell to Dalmuir - arrives in Dalmuir five minutes later.
- 08:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 09:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 10:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir (Saturdays only)
- 11:25 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 12:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir (Saturdays only)
- 13:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 15:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 16:27 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 17:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
- 18:26 Motherwell to Dalmuir
Whifflet - Dalmuir
The following services will arrive in Dalmuir four minutes later.
- 09:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir (Saturdays only)
- 10:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir
- 11:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir (Saturdays only)
- 13:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir
- 15:06 Whifflet to Dalmuir
- 16:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir (not on Saturdays)
- 17:04 Whifflet to Dalmuir