Kids Go Free tickets
Haven't you heard? Kids Go Free with ScotRail.
Kids Go Free tickets let you travel off-peak anywhere in Scotland with one or two children aged 5-15, for the same price as an adult ticket.
- Great value when you travel with one or two children
- No need to book — just buy a Kids Go Free return ticket and go
- Open return also available — return anytime within one month
- Use it for off-peak travel year-round, including school holidays
- Free entry for one child at top attractions
What you need to know
- Off-Peak return travel only: Kids Go Free isn't available with single (one way) tickets
- You can’t use this ticket on LNER services after 15:45 on Sundays between Edinburgh and Dundee. You can use it for longer journeys from Edinburgh to Montrose and beyond
- You can’t break your journey, unless you have to make a connection to reach your destination station
- You can’t use it on CrossCountry services
- If you want to change your ticket or get a refund, there’s a £10 admin fee
How to buy your ticket
- At any ScotRail ticket office
- At our ticket vending machines
- By phone — call 0344 811 0141
Saturday and Sunday: Off-Peak tickets are valid all day
Monday to Friday: Off-Peak tickets are generally valid on trains departing after 09.15, with some restrictions during the evening peak.
Off-Peak tickets are not valid on services from Glasgow Central, Glasgow Queen Street, Edinburgh Waverley or Haymarket:
- Departing after 16.42 and before 18.11
- 18.15 Edinburgh (18.21 Haymarket) to Glasgow Queen Street
- 18.15 Glasgow Queen Street to Edinburgh
Off-Peak tickets are valid at any time on the following routes:
- Glasgow Queen Street - Oban/Fort William/Mallaig
- Inverness - Kyle/Wick/Thurso
Free child travel
You can take one or two children aged 5 to 15 when they travel with an adult. When you buy a ticket, you have to specify how many children will travel with you. You don’t need to include children under age five, they travel for free on all ScotRail services.
Use it on
All ScotRail trains.
Not available for
Journeys on CrossCountry services.
Travel on LNER services after 15:45 on Sundays between Edinburgh and Dundee. You can use it for longer journeys from Edinburgh to Montrose and beyond.
Buy a day return ticket if you’re coming back on the same day. An open return lets you come back on any day within one month.
Kids Go Free isn't available with single (one way) tickets.
Buying your ticket
Buy in advance or on the day of your journey.
There’s no need to reserve a seat on any ScotRail service. If you want to reserve a seat for longer journeys you can do this up to 12 weeks before you travel.
First class upgrade and railcard discounts
Kids Go Free deals
Get one free child entry to some of Scotland’s most popular attractions when you travel with a Kids Go Free ticket.
From Edinburgh Zoo to Glasgow Snow Factor, RRS Discovery to Aberdeen Science Centre... Check out the incredible places you can visit and enjoy great value days out, all year round.