We want everyone who travels with us to be able to do so in a safe and friendly environment.
Our alcohol ban means:
- Visible alcohol is banned on ScotRail trains between 21:00 and 10:00 the next day
- People who are extremely drunk, or acting in a disorderly manner, are not allowed on our trains at any time of day
The ban is support by British Transport Police and has been welcomed by the vast majority of ScotRail customers. Instances of anti social behaviour caused by alcohol have reduced since the ban was introduced.
At a glance
- You can't drink alcohol on a ScotRail trains between 21:00 and 10:00
- You can't carry visible alcohol during these times - opened or unopened
- You can carry alcohol that's in a bag and can't be seen
- We won't sell alcohol on board after 20.30 to give you time to drink up before 21:00
- We may not allow you to board if you are extremely drunk
Railway Byelaw 4 (2) states that a passenger with intoxicating liquor can be prevented from entering, or be asked to leave, the railway.