MND Scotland - our charity partner
Our journey to a cure with MND Scotland.
From Dumfries to Wick, Oban to Aberdeen, we've partnered with MND Scotland to raise money and awareness of Motor Neurone Disease (MND) through our #journeytoacure.
MND Scotland is the official charity partner of the ScotRail Alliance until 2022.
About the partnership
The charity partnership enables a selected national charity to benefit from employee fundraising and volunteering for a dedicated three-year term. Local communities are also engaged in the charitable aims of our nominated charity, to raise awareness and influence change.
MND Scotland was chosen by ScotRail Alliance employees after an extensive selection process, including open nominations and a poll of the entire business.
- Our people take part in fundraising events across the country, from bucket shakes in stations to bake sales
- We encourage our customers to donate and have collecting tins at every staffed booking office throughout our network
- We run a payroll giving scheme so all ScotRail Alliance employees can donate to charity through their salary
About Motor Neurone Disease
Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is a progressive terminal illness which stops signals from the brain reaching the muscles.
It causes muscle wasting and weakness, and can affect someone’s ability to walk, talk, eat, drink, and breathe unaided. There is no effective treatment and no cure. The average life expectancy from diagnosis is just 20 months, and almost 200 people are diagnosed in Scotland each year.
MND Scotland is the only charity in Scotland providing care and support for people affected by MND, as well as funding vital research into finding a cure.
The money raised by the ScotRail Alliance will help MND Scotland to:
- Fund more research in Scotland to find a cure for Motor Neurone Disease
- Fund the practical, emotional and financial support MND Scotland gives people affected by Motor Neurone Disease throughout Scotland
- Raise awareness together, providing a valuable future legacy that extends beyond the timescales of the partnership
Who decides our charity partner?
The story behind our partnership is rather exceptional. We don't accept applications from charities directly, instead we invite our people to nominate, and later vote on, the cause they wish to support.
Find out more
Find out how you can support MND Scotland at www.mndscotland.org.uk